Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Miniature Rose Bonsai 9 years 5 months ago #13038

• Rudy
  • Rudy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 5
Does anyone have any experience growing and training Miniature Rose bonsai? I have a plant that I potted in a bonsai pot a couple of year ago and it's doing fine, although I want to increase the size of its trunk and start training it. I've read that they do best with directional training and other posts say to wire them. Any suggestions or recommendations. Oh, the tree is Shohin size and a naturally grown formal upright - no training other than pruning. Thanks. Rudy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Miniature Rose Bonsai 9 years 5 months ago #13039

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
I'm not to sure about rose (the flowers are quite big), but it is possible, rose has been done for a long time by growers, but it can look very nice when fully trained as bonsai. i have not any experience though, but i would encourage your trying, this species is not seen very often. good luck ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rudy

Miniature Rose Bonsai 9 years 5 months ago #13055

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 72
I've grown miniature roses in the past in containers, they do not seem to thicken up much even after a few years. The rose bonsai I have seen online are probably not miniature species, rather 'full size' ones which have been cut back radically before training over a long period. Do you have any pics of yours?

Dave

• Page: