Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Re: Introduce yourself! 12 years 7 months ago #1400

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 3
Youri this is off topic but have you always been a moderator or can you become one?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Introduce yourself! 12 years 7 months ago #1477

• Zulu
  • Thanks received: 0
Greetings Everyone,

My name is Zulu and I live in Los Angeles, California.
I’ve owned bonsai off and on over the years but being uneducated you can guess what happened to those poor trees. I recently received a juniper bonsai for my birthday and decided to go online and learn how to take care of it. That led me to my local bonsai nursery Kimura www.kimurabonsainursery.com/
After meeting the owner Robert Pressler, I decided to buy a second bonsai and take classes. Since then I was strolling in home depot and saw a poor little bonsai that was destined to die sitting in regular potting soil with glued together driveway gravel on top; so I took it home and repotted properly.
So now I have a Juniper, Olive and Serissa bonsai. I’m new to this but it feels very natural; I have been a tattoo artist for 20 years so paying attention to detail is fun for me and I am enjoying learning about bonsai. I really enjoy sitting on my balcony, playing oud(oud is kinda like a guitar) and meditating next to my bonsai. I look forward to learning and sharing.
Be Well.
~Zulu

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Introduce yourself! 12 years 7 months ago #1478

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Greetings Zulu, from Ontario Canada.

Wow. It's great to meet a fellow artist, musician 'and' bonsai lover. :lol: What a beautiful instrument, the oud. Your pup is adorable as is your peaceful haven you have created on your balcony. I luv how you have set up your bonsai trees with the little scene and the awesome china doll. Definitely the *artist's* touch.

I am quite new to the art of bonsai as well (about six weeks) and I look forward to sharing and learning with you. :)

Be well,
Leslie

PS ~ The reclining doll looks very old. It's beautiful! Care to share a little about it?

Last edit: Post by Leslie. Reason: Forgot something.

Re: Introduce yourself! 12 years 7 months ago #1501

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I love your penjing!!! That little old man fishing is a really nice touch. Did you buy it that way or add the landscaping yourself?

Re: Introduce yourself! 12 years 7 months ago #1503

• Zulu

I love your penjing!!! That little old man fishing is a really nice touch. Did you buy it that way or add the landscaping yourself?

It was given to me as-is om my birthday. Some people don't like figurines but I think it works on this one.

Re: Introduce yourself! 12 years 7 months ago #1525

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I agree, it works pretty well with the whole setup. Whoever gave you that must have a pretty good artistic sense.

Re: Introduce yourself! 12 years 7 months ago #1725

• Youri1995
  • Youri1995's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45

Youri this is off topic but have you always been a moderator or can you become one?

No I've not always been a moderator before. I became one when the site was renewed and got this design. I had been asked if I could give some opinions about the new site and then I got asked if I would be a moderator so :)

@ Zulu, nice trees you've there. It's good to buy a bonsai at a good local bonsai nursery as you did, you get 100% back what you've payed for and you know these bonsai have been in cared by people who knows a lot about bonsai.

Re: Introduce yourself! 12 years 7 months ago #1750

• malaqias
Hello everyone!!
After a month or so i've decided to make my formal introduction.
I'm Diogo from Porto, Portugal and i'm 23.
My "little bug" (as we say in portugal when your grow fond of something) for plants started at a young age.
When i was about 8 or 9 i went to the local nursery with my mum. i saw some cactus and must have had such a happy face that the lady decided to offer me 4 teeny tiny cactus in a little pot, no bigger than 5x10 cm. Every now and then i would go back there and buy 1 or 2 more to add to the collection.
About 15 years later, 3 of the original ones are still living happily outside in the garden, together with all the ones that came in through the years.

My parents had 2 bonsais as i was growing up. (OH MY GOD!!! THIS IS GOING TO BE A LONG POST)
The first was a little tree probably about 5 or 6 years old that my mum bought (from what i know now, i think it was a ficus, but i can't be sure). That one died almost a year later.
But we wouldn't quit, so we got her(my mum) a new one for her birthday. A good looking, very pretty orange tree. that one was amazing. i remember just sitting looking at it as a kid (i wish i had pictures). that one lasted for 5 or 6 years, but back then you didn't have all this help on how to care for your bonsai or how to feed/water etc, so that one eventually died too.

Finally, last month. my girlfriend got a little ligustrum(privet) for her birthday and i've been taking care of it, since she's not very experienced in these things. And that's how i got back to the bonsai world.
i've been looking around for a new tree for myself, to take to my house when college restarts but no luck so far.

Hope this has not been too long....:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Best regards from Portugal,
Diogo.

Last edit: Post by malaqias.

Re: Introduce yourself! 12 years 7 months ago #1751

• malaqias
I forgot to introduce my dog "Yoshi". he's on my avatar.
He's a 1 year old Beagle, loves Chuck Norris and you you can see him here practicing his Roundhouse kick.

Re: Introduce yourself! 12 years 7 months ago #1755

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi Diogo,

Hahaha...luv your dog, Yoshi! Welcome to the forum and thanks for your great introduction. I look forward to sharing with you on the forum. :)

Leslie