Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Juniper chinesis 8 years 8 months ago #16668

• Kswc2000
  • Kswc2000's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Today I went to the nursery to look at the shrubs and trees to see if I could get any suitable bonsai material, what they had was limited because most of the stock was sold, and the nursery had a sale. So after about 30 minutes of checking through some trees, I got anjuniper chinesis, and an Alberta spruce, after further research I decided not to get the Alberta spruce because it is not a sutuble bonsai (especially for beggining) and I'm not sure what to do with my juniper because of its weird shape, I have decided on doing a semi cascade because of the branch that is very low, and takes up a good 1/4 of the tree, I'd like some feedback on if I should start with this, or pick up another instead. I got two mature boxwood in the front of my house I may remove, so if this isn't good enough, Id probably start with that. I'm a good learner, so, if you have helpful advice please tell me :)

(Sorry for bad quality photos, using an iPad, I'll update with better in the morning)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Juniper chinesis 8 years 8 months ago #16669

• Kswc2000
  • Kswc2000's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
This is the only way I can show the pictures, my iPad won't upload photos online for some reason.

Invalid consumer key/secret in configuration

Juniper chinesis 8 years 8 months ago #16674

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
It is always dificult. Often it helps to do these things with more experienced growers. They can give you crucial advice to get good results.

from your pictures it is impossible to tell what you can do with the plant.

I normally start with studying the tree, and thinking of a possible tree. Dig away the topsoil untill you get to the roots; Use this to decide upon potential fronts. The you continue with deciding which branches you really do not need. So, think, 3-way splits are all reduced to spplits in to 2. Branches on the inside of a bend are removed, as are dead branches etc.Keep thinking after each cut; You might want to keep that branch in the bend, and use it as a new leader !

Anyway; That should get you the basic idea of the tree. Then, you thin the foliage. All branchklets should ideally be alternating between left and right of the branches. Remove weak not-growing branchlets (Unless close to or on the main the trunk; I always leave them to enable creation of new branches later on) as well as branches going up or down from the side branches.

After doing that, you should be left with something you can wire, and shape.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kswc2000

Juniper chinesis 8 years 8 months ago #16683

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 72
Good advice from Leatherback - I would just emphasise, it's much easier to remove a branch than to try to grow a new one later! And please don't ask how I know that...

Dave

• Page: