Advice needed

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Advice needed was created by Nooblet

Posted 8 years 6 months ago #17341
Hello everyone

I bought this new today. I was told it was a crape myrtle? Does anyone have a link how to properly care. Anyone have any advice? Anyone with experience can estimate it's age? Thanks
by Nooblet

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Replied by Nooblet on topic Advice needed

Posted 8 years 6 months ago #17342
Here are better pics
by Nooblet

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by bob on topic Advice needed

Posted 8 years 6 months ago #17345
please take the stones off, they don't help unless you want it to be heavy. As development for it being a bonsai, that chop mark will take a huge toll. branch structure will take a lot of time to be improved, time in which is necessary. taking off the wire would help.

www.bonsai4me.co.uk/SpeciesGuide/Lagerstroemia.html

good luck
Last Edit:8 years 6 months ago by bob
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by bob.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nooblet

Posted 8 years 6 months ago #17350
Thank you. I have removed the stones and I put it in my yard where it can get direct sun. Should I leave it there all day (it's spring and the days are sometimes very hot)? Or should I put it under shade in the afternoon? Also would you have an idea around how old it looks?
by Nooblet

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Advice needed

Posted 8 years 6 months ago #17351
The wire is not doing it any good, take it off. As for age it looks like about 2 or 3 years old. The main thing is not to allow it to dry out, so if it is then some shade will help.
Select a leader and shorten the others, prune to an outward facing bud.
by m5eaygeoff

Replied by Auk on topic Advice needed

Posted 8 years 6 months ago #17354
About the wire:
It is too thick. You probably already noticed it as it seems the top branch you wired broke and died off.
As the wire is too thick and stronger than the branch, when you try to wire, what will happen is that in stead of wiring the wire around the branch, you're twisting the branch around the wire. Not good...
Last Edit:8 years 6 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Auk.

Posted 8 years 6 months ago #17392
Thank you everyone for your replies. I didn't put the wire on it was purchased like that. When I go home I will remove it. When should a wire go on it? And if I take the wire off would it affect the way the tree grows?
by Nooblet

Advice needed - Bonsai forum

Bonsai forum

Posted 8 years 6 months ago #17426
I have removed the two bottom stems that were growing just above the roots. Also removed wire and cut off the dead stem that was growing around the wire. Can I work on reducing the leaf size? When?
by Nooblet

Posted 8 years 6 months ago #17427

Nooblet wrote: Can I work on reducing the leaf size? When?

You can start on reducing the leaf size once you have an established bonsai. Until then you need normal and vigorous leaf growth. It depends a bit on how the tree develops, but in this case I'd say after about 10 years.

Bonsai is a marathon, not a sprint, you cannot create an instant bonsai, it takes time and practice to... yada, yada, yada.

Posted 8 years 6 months ago #17428

Nooblet wrote: I didn't put the wire on it was purchased like that.

Seriously? Where did you buy it?

When I go home I will remove it. When should a wire go on it? And if I take the wire off would it affect the way the tree grows?

Don't take it off. It's not done very well (Especially at the top) but the damage is already done.
Leave it there for a while until the branches have set. If you remove the wire, make sure you use a wire cutter. Don't try to unwind the wire, you will surely damage the tree.