Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Why are my tree's leaves falling off again? 9 years 5 months ago #13211

• moondragon
  • moondragon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3
A while ago my ficus had scale and lost a lot of leaves. I used alcohol on a cotton swab to rub off each individual scale, put a systematic insectide in the soil, and have been using pesticide spray. My tree was getting a lot better.

Its been a few weeks and I have been checking the tree for scale again and I don't see any, but the leaves are yelllowing again ;( what is wrong with my tree? Is it possible that the tree has scale that are too small to see?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Why are my tree's leaves falling off again? 9 years 5 months ago #13212

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
If you are watering well and thee is nothing wrong with the surface of the tree then it may be something to do with the roots. It may be the fact that you used alchohol or maybe sprayed to frequently with the pesticide.

Pictures would be good though.

Why are my tree's leaves falling off again? 9 years 5 months ago #13213

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

It may be the fact that you used alchohol or maybe sprayed to frequently with the pesticide.

What do you base this answer on?

Yellowing can have a lot of reasons. More common reasons are overwatering (The roots stay very wet for a long time), or too much moving of the plant. This next to insect infections, but you should have that problem if you have used a systemic insecticide..

Please post a few pictures: Of the whole ree, and of some leaves that are turning yellow and of individual branches.

Why are my tree's leaves falling off again? 9 years 5 months ago #13214

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yes but the fact that the yellowing happaned now after the applications of the chemicals. I would not elluminate factors so easily. But it as you say it may be a cultural fault. But the pictures will determine what it is.

Why are my tree's leaves falling off again? 9 years 5 months ago #13215

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Yes but the fact that the yellowing happaned now after the applications of the chemicals. I would not elluminate factors so easily. But it as you say it may be a cultural fault.

So basically your answer is not based on anything, is what you are saying.

Why are my tree's leaves falling off again? 9 years 5 months ago #13216

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
my answer is based on previous past events.

Why are my tree's leaves falling off again? 9 years 5 months ago #13219

• moondragon
My other ficus is looking a little yellow as well, so it is possible that I overwatered or that they are not getting enough light. I last sprayed a few days ago, but the tree wasn't having any previous effects from the chemicals, unless it just wasn't showing until now.

I will post a picture later today! Thank you very much for the feedback. It still has new buds and the branches don't appear to be dying, just some of the leaves near the middle of the plant are turning yellow/brown and then falling off.

Why are my tree's leaves falling off again? 9 years 5 months ago #13221

• moondragon
Here are the pictures. Two are of my ficus bonsai in the making, and the second is of my mallsai. Both are yellowing- I used to have a bad problem with spider mites. Is it possible they've returned?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by moondragon.

Why are my tree's leaves falling off again? 9 years 5 months ago #13222

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hard to tell.

As I have used alcoholsdwaps on many species of plants, including ficus, I'll rule that out. Considering you used a commercial insecticide, and dosed as directed, that should not be the culprit either.

Spider mites can have this effect, but normally you would see the fine webbing all over the plant. Your plants do not have a clear infestation (So densities are not at a level that they would cause this). I cannot detect any other infestations. Have you carefully checked the underside of some leaves? Scale can be near invisible and you really hvae to look carefully at the veins

Leaves.. Watering (Over and/or under!) or light. Did you move them? Is the room very cold? Did you forget to water them for a few days?

Why are my tree's leaves falling off again? 9 years 5 months ago #13232

• moondragon
I have seen some webbing on my plant before, but not really any amount that I was concerned about. The spray I use treats mites as well so if there are any, hopefully it will treat them. I will check back over for more scale.

My bedroom does get cold sometimes, but it hasn't been lately. I have a parakeet so I have to keep the room warm for him. I have a plant light, its a flourescent bulb that I keep about 1 foot from the tree, as it is very cloudly very often here. Would you reccomend I set them by a window when it is sunny??

I always check if my tree needs water. It usually only needs it once or twice a week now that its inside. So its been a few days but the soil doesn't feel dry.

• Page: