Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

A dying ficus — Need help saving it 9 years 2 weeks ago #15221

• andyhavoc
  • andyhavoc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi,

We received a ficus bonsai tree as a gift 3 years ago. We kept it outdoors and each winter we had to empty the pot several times as it didn't had any drainage holes.

This year around end of January it started loosing its leaves (from green to yellow) and I decided to take measures to save it as it seemed to be dying.

I took it to a plant nursery and after examining the ficus and taking it out of the pot, informed me that it could be saved.

They gave me instructions which I did below:

1. Drilled holes on the bonsai pot
2. Mixed Topsin—M fungicide in a bucket with water and placed the ficus (submerged roots) and left it overnight to treat root rot.
3. Re—potted the tree the next day in a soil mix that retains a good amount of water.

I've been monitoring, watering (only when soil dries up on top) misting the bonsai and kept an eye on it for the past 2 months.

I've also pruned some branches off since then.

It doesn't seem to recover. No new sprouts or leaves. It been leafless since end of January. But it's base tree trunk is green when scratched and so is the top branches.

I'm attaching photos.

If anyone can advise me on any extra steps I could do to help speed up recovery or help it in general I would be really grateful.

Thanks
Andreas

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by andyhavoc. Reason: Edited photos

A dying ficus — Need help saving it 9 years 2 weeks ago #15222

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
It does not help not knowing what country you are in. Unless you are totally frost free it will not survive outside. No holes in the pot is a death sentence to any plant. It looks dead to me, but you never know.

A dying ficus — Need help saving it 9 years 2 weeks ago #15223

• andyhavoc
Hi,

We're located in Cyprus.

We have a sub-tropical climate. Winter is somewhat harsh at temperatures dropping to as low as 2 degrees Celsius.
No frost during winter though, as the lowest temperature where we live (city) is 1 degree Celsius.

Since February temperatures during day reach as high as 25 degrees Celsius, as low as 5 at nights. Since March low as 10 degrees.

Thanks
Andreas

A dying ficus — Need help saving it 9 years 2 weeks ago #15224

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

We have a sub-tropical climate. Winter is somewhat harsh at temperatures dropping to as low as 2 degrees Celsius.
No frost during winter though, as the lowest temperature where we live (city) is 1 degree Celsius.

Temperature should be above - at least - 12 C. Ficus can tolerate lower temperatures than that for a short period only.

Plant is not dead yet, but I don't think there's anything else you can do but wait and pray to the god of your choice.

51.702... and counting.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

A dying ficus — Need help saving it 9 years 2 weeks ago #15233

• andyhavoc
Hi,

Thank you for the insight on this.

I was thinking maybe feeding it with some fertiliser but I've read from various sources it's not a good idea to do that when the tree is in shock and recovering.

i will keep observing it and continue watering it and see if it gets better.

If it recovers next winter I will move it indoors next to a window with enough sun.

Thanks
Andreas

A dying ficus — Need help saving it 8 years 10 months ago #16110

• andyhavoc
I just wanted to give an update on this topic and perhaps receive some more help.

The bonsai is still without leaves. Furthermore the branches that once held the leaves are dried out.

Still the bark seems alive as its green when midly scratched.

I did another repot in end of April with new potting soil and treated / shortened the roots some more. 70% of the roots are medium brownish (not dark) and the other 30% has white roots.

I also tried emergency pruning and the dried out branches are now really short.

I've been watering it in 2-4 days intervals when the soil looks and feels dry.

The bonsai is located outside in a shaded area with 3-4 hours receiving morning sun and no direct winds. It's summer time now and the temperature is always warm from 33 at day to 12-15 degrees at night. (Celsius).

I prefer keeping it outside since the pot now has drainage holes since March. It would be a real hustle to water the plant indoors unless I add another plate below to catch the excess water.

I asked a couple of plant nursery owners and all insisted to keep the ficus outdoors. One of them told me it might need up to a year to recover / show new leaves.

Still no leaves or newly made branches.

Any Help? :(

Thanks

Last edit: Post by andyhavoc. Reason: Update topic

A dying ficus — Need help saving it 8 years 10 months ago #16114

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Stop fidgeting with it. Every time you pull it out, do work on the branches of roots it needs to work on fixing whatever you opened up.

Unhappy plants are best just left alone, and left to recover. THat said. Yes, it CAN take a long time. But with the temps you are having it should rebounces rapidly. I am surprised it is taking this long.

Putting it indoors? I wouldn't. My ficus go outside as soon as night temps are not much below 10c. (This year I actually had them outside with 4c night temps as we are having a cold spring).

Just wait. Position sounds about right. Alternative would be to put a big bag around it, which would trap moisture. Sun on it will heat it up, so make sure it is really in early morning sun.

A dying ficus — Need help saving it 8 years 10 months ago #16116

• andyhavoc
Hey,

Ok I will stop fiddling with it from now on and just let it recover.

I'll place a transparent bag on it and see how it develops.

Thanks for the swift reply.
Really appreciate it.

A dying ficus — Need help saving it 8 years 10 months ago #16118

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Good luck. Make sure the bag does not overheat! So really.. Keep track of sun exposure. A plastic back will heat up very quickly.

A dying ficus — Need help saving it 8 years 10 months ago #16122

• andyhavoc
Thanks,

Since the tree gets direct sunlight only in the morning hours up until 11:00 am I don't think the bag will overheat, but will check on it daily.

Will post back here when I have news about its progress.

Thanks again!

• Page: