Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Swamp Maple (Acer Rubrum) Pre-Bonsai 8 years 8 months ago #16482

• FatherPrestmas
  • FatherPrestmas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
This Maple was collected in early spring about half a year ago. It was found in a swampy area of North Florida, and has the best character of about 10 other maples that were collected. The 3 main branches you see were already present, and judging from the size of the roots and the evidence of damage along the trunk, it is older than the others that were collected, most of which had just sprouted that spring.

As with all of the collected Maples, the tree has grown vigorously and done very well; each branch has more than doubled in size at this point from when it was first potted. I clipped the new growth about 2 weeks ago on the tallest branch (the leader) to promote further branching and whatnot. There does not appear to be much of any branching down the length of the tree yet, however the leader now has two new small growths where it was cut and appears as though it is wanting to continue growing upwards.

I have a few questions... Was clipping the new growth at this point a mistake, and if so, how long should I let it grow wild until I begin working on it (Sorry the Leader's new growth is blurry)? Also, a surface root has appeared- what should I do to promote it's growth and utilize it as a part of a future nebari (cover it with soil, let it do it's thing, etc)? Also, any suggestions of any kind as to things I could do for the better of the plant, or thoughts on the direction one should take in styling it in the future are much appreciated. I am very excited about this tree, there seems to be a lot of potential.

This is my first post on Bonsai Empire, and I hope to post more in the future, pertaining to this project, and others!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Swamp Maple (Acer Rubrum) Pre-Bonsai 8 years 8 months ago #16483

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
Sorry, but this is a young tree. It is going to take years before you can call this a pre-boInsai.
You're going to have to grow a useable trunk first:

www.evergreengardenworks.com/trunks.htm

Swamp Maple (Acer Rubrum) Pre-Bonsai 8 years 8 months ago #16523

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 151
All right, if your still around, you know how it is, people ask a question, then never even wait a few minutes. Oh never mind....

Oh! if you want to have some fun with your silly "Swamp Maple" (piss elms are more fun). Cut all the leaves off, if it dies? well, how hard is it to get another two year old maple?

Why wait years just to have some fun. Of course, times getting wasted, trees just don't do so good in hundred degree weather.

cut all the leaves off... every tiny one... oh come on we're trying to learn.

Swamp Maple (Acer Rubrum) Pre-Bonsai 8 years 8 months ago #16665

• michaelj
  • Thanks received: 2
What?

Swamp Maple (Acer Rubrum) Pre-Bonsai 8 years 8 months ago #16670

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 151
So you didn't cut a single leaf off,... trust me... just cut them off... it's so cool... oh it probably won't kill it

Swamp Maple (Acer Rubrum) Pre-Bonsai 8 years 8 months ago #16673

• FatherPrestmas
  • FatherPrestmas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1

All right, if your still around, you know how it is, people ask a question, then never even wait a few minutes. Oh never mind....

Oh! if you want to have some fun with your silly "Swamp Maple" (piss elms are more fun). Cut all the leaves off, if it dies? well, how hard is it to get another two year old maple?

Why wait years just to have some fun. Of course, times getting wasted, trees just don't do so good in hundred degree weather.

cut all the leaves off... every tiny one... oh come on we're trying to learn.

I'm not sure I understand. Why should I cut off the leaves? Is there something implied in your statement that I am missing? I get that it was kind of a silly topic for me to post in hindsight if that's what you're saying. I'm not angry I just don't understand...

Last edit: Post by FatherPrestmas. Reason: .

Swamp Maple (Acer Rubrum) Pre-Bonsai 8 years 8 months ago #16677

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
I think samantha has had the account hacked or something. A few post appeared in the same line of thought. Very 'constructive criticysm'.

Basically what the posts are telling you: This is a very young plant. It will take 5-10 years of ground growing befor the trunk gets interesting enough to make a convincing bonsai. So either you wire it up to give the trunk some shape, and plant it in the ground, of you find yourself a better (older) specimen to work with.

Some backgrouond reading:
www.growingbonsai.net/size-matters/ and here www.growingbonsai.net/how-big-should-my-bonsai-be/ and finally if you want to take a plunch and grow your own trunk here: www.growingbonsai.net/growing-bonsai/growing-trunks/

Swamp Maple (Acer Rubrum) Pre-Bonsai 8 years 7 months ago #16685

• redman85
  • Thanks received: 11
Or maybe some "crack smoking " ? It could be the hackers though

• Page: