Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Emergency! My bonsai breaks at the touch! 7 years 2 months ago #28706

• Tsukaiyo
  • Tsukaiyo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
About 4-5+ years ago, my grandmother took me to get a cute little bonsai tree.
Only, we didn't get a little tree. We got the biggest one they had (that's just who she was!). Years later, it's sitting in my room and I notice that the poor thing breaks when touched. It's still mostly green and has seemed quite healthy as long as I've had it: tons of growth, lots of green, with massive, sweeping branches. It's a sort of evergreen, though it could be European spruce or Japanese cryptomeria. As the botanist recommended frequent misting (which I stopped doing about a year back when my dad took my spray bottle and I never replaced it... whoops...), it's probably the Japanese cryptomeria. Only as of checking this site did I ever realize that they need to be repotted every few years. I don't think I'm overwatering it, as it has a drainage area in the bottom. I water once every 3 days or so. I also didn't realize that they need plant food... Clearly, I'm no botanist myself.
Right now, my plant is still 85% green and extremely fragile, and has been that way for a while. It's only gotten so extremely breakable very recently. So my question is: should I mist it with plant food until it gets stronger, then repot? Or does it need to be repotted ASAP? Or is it just too late for the poor thing?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Emergency! My bonsai breaks at the touch! 7 years 2 months ago #28707

• Tsukaiyo
  • Tsukaiyo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
New info: after checking the bonsai potting page, I've learned that my pot is unusually enormous: it's about.. 8 inches deep? And has about a 5X5 inch square top. I mean, the tree itself is huge and reaches far out of its pot and swings in a slow spiral down to the base. I've been scared of hurting the tree with my incompetence, so I haven't tried training it since its original copper wiring when I bought it. I do trim it into a smoother shape, but that's it.

Emergency! My bonsai breaks at the touch! 7 years 2 months ago #28709

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Next conclusion is you have been keeping this poor thing indoors?

By what I read, your plant is dead and may have been for a while. Once they get so brittle that they fal lapart they have been dead for a while and/or standing above a heater. There is no way back.

• Page: