Bonsai forum

New to bonsai, need some help

• Wurzel
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

New to bonsai, need some help was created by Wurzel

Posted 7 years 3 months ago #28734
Hello,
I recently received a Juniper bonsai for a birthday present. It was purchased from a bonsai store in the mall. The tree is 24 years old, and it is mid-small size (picture attached within this post). I have a question/concern regarding my new tree. I am aware that the tree needs to be outdoors at all times. I am not sure it has been outside yet this winter, or even when it was outside last, as it was purchased from an indoor environment. When is a good time to move my tree outside?
Thanks in advance.
by Wurzel

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic New to bonsai, need some help

Posted 7 years 3 months ago #28735

Wurzel wrote: Hello,
I recently received a Juniper bonsai for a birthday present. It was purchased from a bonsai store in the mall. The tree is 24 years old

No it is not 24 years old, it may be 24 months. It's not a bonsai. Questions about plants looking identical to this one are asked on an almost daily basis. Check the forum and use the search function.
by Auk

• Barksoul

Replied by Barksoul on topic New to bonsai, need some help

Posted 7 years 3 months ago #28741
The Juniper I was just given as a gift recommended bringing the tree inside once temperatures drop below 40 degrees F, but there's a lot of conflicting info on when exactly the tree shouldn't be outside. Though one common theme I keep seeing is that if it's warm enough, it'll do better outside though. Do you know where yours came from? If it was bought online it may have a recommended care sheet on the website.

Congrats on the new tree. It looks beautiful already! What a lovely shape. Enjoy!
by Barksoul

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic New to bonsai, need some help

Posted 7 years 3 months ago #28746

Barksoul wrote: The Juniper I was just given as a gift recommended bringing the tree inside once temperatures drop below 40 degrees F, but there's a lot of conflicting info on when exactly the tree shouldn't be outside.

Hm.. There is no doubt I think that junipers should ALWAYS be outside. Germany has no weather at least cold enough to make me bring the junipers inside. In any case, as Auk sais; This type of supermarket junpers cme 14 a dozen, and there are several similar psts on the forum from the last weeks.
by leatherback

• Wurzel
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Wurzel on topic New to bonsai, need some help

Posted 7 years 3 months ago #28754
Barksoul-
Thank you for your response. The tree came from a store in the mall that specializes in bonsais. My brother, who bought it for me, told me the store clerk is an expert with many years of experience and I do have a care sheet that it came with. Does not say anything about keeping it outside which I found odd for a Juniper, and most of the care tips are things I was already aware of. I have kept the tree indoors since I received it on Sunday. Since then, I have watered it once and mist it daily. I live in Pennsylvania and currently the weather is very mild, not going below 40 degrees. So I could technically take it outside as soon as possible.
Last Edit:7 years 3 months ago by Wurzel
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Wurzel.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic New to bonsai, need some help

Posted 7 years 3 months ago #28764

Wurzel wrote: So I could technically take it outside as soon as possible.

So why do you keep it inside?
by leatherback

• Barksoul

Replied by Barksoul on topic New to bonsai, need some help

Posted 7 years 3 months ago #28769

Wurzel wrote: I live in Pennsylvania and currently the weather is very mild, not going below 40 degrees. So I could technically take it outside as soon as possible.

I'd recommend it! Apparently the 40F thing was a lie they tell to make people believe they can keep it inside and not in fact true. . . So I moved mine outside this morning (I'm in Washington state). Feel free to PM me if you wanna talk about beginner stuff with me. :)
by Barksoul

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic New to bonsai, need some help

Posted 7 years 3 months ago #28776

Wurzel wrote: the store clerk is an expert with many years of experience

I trust he has many years of experience in selling plants. He has no experience in bonsai. The plant is absolutely not 24 years old. Also, he should have given you better information about its requirements.
by Auk

• simplysaid
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 54

Replied by simplysaid on topic New to bonsai, need some help

Posted 7 years 3 months ago #28782

Wurzel wrote: Barksoul-
Thank you for your response. The tree came from a store in the mall that specializes in bonsais. My brother, who bought it for me, told me the store clerk is an expert with many years of experience and I do have a care sheet that it came with. Does not say anything about keeping it outside which I found odd for a Juniper, and most of the care tips are things I was already aware of. I have kept the tree indoors since I received it on Sunday. Since then, I have watered it once and mist it daily. I live in Pennsylvania and currently the weather is very mild, not going below 40 degrees. So I could technically take it outside as soon as possible.

I also live in the north east of the US and keep all but one of my trees outside. Once you get more educated on Bonsai, you will learn that anyone who claims to be an expert, would never sell their trees in a mall. I hope we don't discourage anyone from learning all they can from our posts. Read some books, talk to someone in person who has Bonsai, and take a class.
by simplysaid