Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

i've taken willow tree cuttings 7 years 1 month ago #29816

• jacobplopo
  • jacobplopo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
i just don't want to start something now which is destined for failure!

if i cut my future bonsai, the wound will always be visible wont it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

i've taken willow tree cuttings 7 years 1 month ago #29839

• Solaris
  • Thanks received: 16

i just don't want to start something now which is destined for failure!

if i cut my future bonsai, the wound will always be visible wont it?

No more so than if you cut yourself.
I've read a number of ways to minimize scarring, most of which can be summed up as 'help the tree heal right by cutting like an artist'. Consider how the bark will cover over the wound when you make the cut.

And besides, if it turns out poorly you still have all the little ones waiting on the wings. Bonsai is as much an art as it is a science; nobody does well on their first plant.

i've taken willow tree cuttings 7 years 1 month ago #29845

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Yup. The cut will stay visible for a long time, and probably for ever. The main challenge is to get that included in the design.

i've taken willow tree cuttings 7 years 1 month ago #29869

• Solaris

Yup. The cut will stay visible for a long time, and probably for ever. The main challenge is to get that included in the design.

Wouldn't chopping the trunk take care of the cut up top, and growing roots take care of the one on the bottom?

i've taken willow tree cuttings 7 years 1 month ago #29874

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Wouldn't chopping the trunk take care of the cut up top,

Ehm.. Yes. If you cut the cut section off, that cut is gone. but now you have a new cut?

i've taken willow tree cuttings 7 years 1 month ago #29878

• Solaris

Wouldn't chopping the trunk take care of the cut up top,

Ehm.. Yes. If you cut the cut section off, that cut is gone. but now you have a new cut?

And if it's done in such a way that the future growth of the tree covers and conceals the scar by growing over it, as is typically recommended with trunk chopping, that should render the problem moot.

i've taken willow tree cuttings 7 years 1 month ago #29881

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

And if it's done in such a way that the future growth of the tree covers and conceals the scar by growing over it, as is typically recommended with trunk chopping, that should render the problem moot.

Except that willow does not typically produce callus that closes wounds like oack, beech or maples do.
Trunk chop is nothing more than cutting down. It is not some mystical techique that stimulates trees to close wounds.

i've taken willow tree cuttings 7 years 1 month ago #29886

• Solaris

Except that willow does not typically produce callus that closes wounds like oack, beech or maples do.
Trunk chop is nothing more than cutting down. It is not some mystical techique that stimulates trees to close wounds.

Mystical, no, but it certainly has some measure of technique to it. If it doesn't work, then why is it so widely recommended? I get that you get your jollies by being condescending and informing everyone new to the forum how wrong they are, but come on. Saying "No, it won't work" is nowhere near helpful. Stating the difficulties is.
Trees universally grow along a similar pattern, producing new cells from the cambium; just because they don't produce a prominent callus doesn't mean they don't grow.
We're talking about utilizing the plant's own processes to replicate a naturalistic look without resigning to a large, flat chopped-top that may or may not actually die off entirely due to a lack of sap flow between it and the top branch. Your very argument that willow bark scars easily and has a poor healing process is, in fact, an argument against the passive resignation you're advocating because that means you need to do something to work around the limitations of the tree's innate processes.

i've taken willow tree cuttings 7 years 1 month ago #29888

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I am sorry to say. But sometimes it just is not going to work.

And sorry, but your statement "I get that you get your jollies by being condescending and informing everyone new to the forum how wrong they are, but come on." is just so far off bat. C I do get tired of answering the same questions over and over. And of course, getting argumentative responses on every answer you post because somebody thinks they are really smart does not help.

You go ahead, and try to make a willow close a 10cm diameter cut. Let me know in a decade why you were unable to do so. And don't tell me it is because it is willow. My answer will be that you need to do something to work around the limitations of the tree's innate processes. Not every tree is the same. You can get maple wounds to close without extensive trunk diameter increase. You cannot do this with willow (Or Tamarix, Ginkgo and many conifers).

• Page: