Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Dormancy broken? 7 years 1 month ago #29897

• TheWhiteLotus
  • TheWhiteLotus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
I have a Japanese Maple and recently I have noticed the green leaves it has sprouted. In my area, we had a week of unseasonably warm days then cold nights. Cold as in below 0 C. And unfortuantely, from what I've read, about 0 C is the lowest temperature my little tree can survive. So I usually bring my tree in for the night then, put it back outside. However, this week and the upcoming week are going to be very cold, only one or two degrees above 0 C, and my tree has begun to grow new leaves. Should I still place it outside? Has it really broken it's dormancy? And, if it has, should I fertilize it? I have read that I should fertilize my tree after it awakens from dormancy. Any help would be much appreciated! I will attach two photos of my tree, one of a newly grown leaf and another one of my full tree. Thank you

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dormancy broken? 7 years 1 month ago #29901

• Bonsai Bender
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 70
You only have 2 leave and the other buds don't look like they are ready yet. My suggestion is to just protect it from the wind and leave it outside. Don't water it in the evening until the night time lows get about 4° C or above. Don't fertilize until that time as well.

Dormancy broken? 7 years 1 month ago #29902

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
I can't imagine where you might have read that Acers will not stand frost! That is just incredible. anyone who knows anything about them will know that they will withstand at least-10C. What it does not like if the leaves getting frosted before they are fully open.

Dormancy broken? 7 years 1 month ago #29903

• Bonsai Bender
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

I can't imagine where you might have read that Acers will not stand frost! That is just incredible. anyone who knows anything about them will know that they will withstand at least-10C. What it does not like if the leaves getting frosted before they are fully open.

I must've misread his post, which is highly likely, Jap Maples can withstand below freezing. I thought the white lotus was talking about was since his JM had started budding out that they were trying to protect it from current freezing temps. They definitely can stay out through the winter.

Dormancy broken? 7 years 1 month ago #29908

• TheWhiteLotus
Thank You! Both of you! You have both been very helpful! I read in one or two places that Japanese Maples couldn't withstand below freezing temperatures but that's why I asked here! I wanted to make sure. And yes, Bonsai Bender, I did mean that because of budding I was trying to protect them from freezing temps. So two final questions: even with this budding, could it stand below freezing temps and still survive? And can it withstand snow?

Dormancy broken? 7 years 1 month ago #29912

• Bonsai Bender
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
It will fry the new growth and any tender buds. Depending on how long it last you could experience branch dieback (if for several days) or nothing more than loss of new growth (in which case the JM with replace with more new growth). It will survive though.
The best thing to do if you only have a few is bring them into a garage, shed, or your house. (for up to 5 days) If it's just one or two days then just get them under cover and out of the wind. (I have made a makeshift greenhouse out of a white trash bag and a stool before)

Dormancy broken? 7 years 1 month ago #29940

• TheWhiteLotus
Thank you! This has been very helpful! I will keep my JM inside for one more day and then it will be able to go outside because the night time lows are at about 4° Celsius. Thank you for your help!

Dormancy broken? 7 years 1 month ago #29944

• Bonsai Bender
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
You are welcome. If you wouldn't mind in about 2 months would you post a picture of it on this thread. I just want to see the little fella.

Dormancy broken? 7 years 1 month ago #29945

• TheWhiteLotus
Of course! I would be more than happy too!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bonsai Bender

• Page: