• Page:

TOPIC:

tiny privet and shohin sized privet 9 years 4 months ago #13296

• bob
  • bob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
Hello people. I have registered to this forum so i might as well use it and connect so i can ask you. I have grown two cuttings of the common privet and have some hopes for them in about ten or more years. The first of the pics is of a small privet i have grown from a cutting for about three months now. I think it may make a goodish mame/shohin in good time. I am not sure about the styling is all. The next pic is of another privet i have grown for the same amount of time and i think has windswept potential. Any ideas and comments are highly apreciated. Dont worry, first i will obviously let them grow before styling (first one expecially :D ).

Thanks

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

tiny privet and shohin sized privet 9 years 4 months ago #13297

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 72
Privet grows quite quickly - i found a seedling in the garden a few years ago and it now has the start of a decent trunk plus well developed basal roots and branching, I actually took an air layer off it last year and have a small triple trunk privet which is doing well. No pics, sorry. Best outside though

Dave

tiny privet and shohin sized privet 9 years 4 months ago #13299

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Privets & indoors work best if you have one of the tropical privets. If you have the common privet you find in hedgerows, try to find a place outside.

I agree, the smallest needs a lot of growing on. The other.. I am not sure windswept is what you should do. It is a very dificult style to get done well. But well, try if you think you know how :D

As a startingpoint of the development speed, you might want to read about them: o

n the dutch version of this website, we have been growing privets as part of a product-test for the website store.
www.bonsaiempire.nl/forum/48-help/5135-l...e-ervaringen?start=0

My tree:
before. Jan 2012 (The last one they sent out in that batch, because it really not developed well enough to be sold):

A few weeks ago:

This message has attachments images.

tiny privet and shohin sized privet 9 years 4 months ago #13300

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi, first of all thank you ;).

The first definitly does need a lot of growing, but if does make good material it is nice to think that i grew it from scratch (ish). It is currently in a bad heat escaping windowsill, i am going to keep then indoors with this cold-ish winowsill until spring. At spring time, i am hopefully going to get a pollytunnel. This pollytunnel will be used outside on a little patch i dug up. As i live in a flat, on the bottom floor, i am lucky to get a small patch, but it is still communal, so if i put a tree there there is a great risk of it being jacked (stolen). With the pollytunnel people are much less than likely to jack something they cannot see and looks like it is already claimed and owned. I will put the privets in the pollytunnel in spring of near that time. The windowsill is freezing and would act possibly like a cold frame, but i will try to stick em outside as you say, they will do best outside. I will give the guide a good read leatherback ;)

Shame no picture ironhorse, but cool story, it gives me a good idead of how fast they grow ;)

tiny privet and shohin sized privet 9 years 4 months ago #13315

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
This is the original tree 2 years & 3 months ago, I think is was probably a year or two old then, I'll get pics of the two tomorrow, memory permitting

This message has an attachment image.

tiny privet and shohin sized privet 9 years 4 months ago #13316

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
That piece of stone isn't actually in the pot, just behind it in an untidy greenhouse

Dave

tiny privet and shohin sized privet 9 years 4 months ago #13317

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Cool, looking forwar to see the beauties tomorrow and see how much they have grown ;)

tiny privet and shohin sized privet 9 years 4 months ago #13328

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Right then, just for you. The air layer was started April 2013, can't recall when I removed it but think it was late summer so probably after 5/6 months. With hindsight the original tree should also have been in a much bigger pot from the start but I like the way it's progressing, albeit slowly, so no rush.

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: bob

Last edit: Post by ironhorse. Reason: no pic

tiny privet and shohin sized privet 9 years 4 months ago #13329

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
ha! ;) that is epic! :D awesome growth on that guy, 2.5 months, that is amazing, now i know how thick these guys can get. that butress, i am sure will look awesome in a few years, the episode roots look nice, a brilliant specimen definitely, the air layer looks to me like it might make a good twin or triple trunk. thank you very much ;) for posting these pics, and the best of luck to you and your privets and trees ;)

tiny privet and shohin sized privet 9 years 4 months ago #13330

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
*exposed roots*

sorry

• Page: