Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Chinese Elm- first bonsai WIP 8 years 9 months ago #16356

• spontaneousmusicalnumber
  • spontaneousmusicalnumber's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I got bit by the bonsai bug a couple weeks ago. I live in Iowa but at the time happened to be on vacation in California, where I found a nearby bonsai nursery and picked up this Chinese elm that I thought had some really nice potential.

After getting it home, repotting it proved to be a challenge as it was extremely root-bound. However I think I managed OK. I pruned it back, did some style work, and wired a couple of the branches. Here it is after this evening's watering. I think it's looking really nice, it catches my eye whenever I'm walking past.
Front:

Back:

Left:

Right:

It's been a week since the work, and as I'm leaving for a 2-week class soon I'm thinking of fertilizing tomorrow. Should I wait or not? Also, I have several fertilizers laying around (all balanced NPK) but none with specific bonsai instructions. I'm thinking of using a liquid one that I dilute in water. Would I follow the instructions for any potted plant?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chinese Elm- first bonsai WIP 8 years 9 months ago #16360

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Nice little tree.

Have you considered removing the long side-branch from the top? (You could airlayer it still and then you'd have 2 plants)

As for fertiliser: Yes, use as for normal potted plants.

If you leave for 2 weeks, make sure you leave it with someone who cares. Just watering once a week won's be enough..

Chinese Elm- first bonsai WIP 8 years 9 months ago #16361

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 101
I too like the look of this tree. Maybe you could consider making the 'right' side the front?
as for fertilizer, you should try to find one with high and equal parts of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium (10:10:10)
good luck with your new hobby!

• Page: