• Page:

TOPIC:

my box plant. 9 years 7 months ago #12556

• bob
  • bob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
Hi, i will be straight to the point. I have a boxwood that i got from a nursery fot 3 pounds. I have been growing it and it seems happy, yes it is indoors but that is all i have but luckily it is well ventilated with the air and cool from the outside. I have pruned some leaves off and that is where intended branches have developed. First i will do basic training for the improvement of ramification and let it grow for a few years then will do the style pruning. I have trouble deciding the style is all and as you can see it is pretty boring in the first photo (side). So my question is this: what style suggestion. I am leaning towards the tilting style or slanting style but would like some suggstions on which style. ;)

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

my box plant. 9 years 7 months ago #12561

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Hi, i will be straight to the point. I have a boxwood that i got from a nursery fot 3 pounds. I have been growing it and it seems happy, yes it is indoors but that is all i have but luckily it is well ventilated with the air and cool from the outside. I have pruned some leaves off and that is where intended branches have developed. First i will do basic training for the improvement of ramification and let it grow for a few years then will do the style pruning. I have trouble deciding the style is all and as you can see it is pretty boring in the first photo (side). So my question is this: what style suggestion. I am leaning towards the tilting style or slanting style but would like some suggstions on which style. ;)

You're a brave guy... you know what comments you can expect (allthough you may meanwhile know me good enough to know that I respond quite differently to people that are really interested and that are really growing their own tree rather then murdering a mallsai).

The style... you write that you will let it grow for a few years, and that is a correct decision. However, this means after a few years it will look quite different. Maybe you should wait before you decide on what style, but also you need to determine what size you want it to become, then you can decide what branches are in the right place.

IMHO I can hardly give an advice now, but if I must: slanting is an option, informal upright is possible too - or a combination (informal, slanting). Have you considered broom style?

I'd not touch the lower branches. Let them grow freely, to get more tapering. You could prune the branches in the top a bit, select a top and side branches that you want to keep - but as said, it depends on your future plans.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

my box plant. 9 years 7 months ago #12563

• bob
  • bob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
Thanks ;) i will let it grow for now until a few years time and then see how goes with the style shape it would do best at. I will try to get a bit of taper as you say. Thank you for the advise. I think i will take pictures as well as i go along so i can look back as reference. ;) .

Last edit: Post by bob. Reason: forgot s in pictures :lol:
  • Page: