Bonsai forum

pine nuggets or pine mulch?

• Marvel170
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

pine nuggets or pine mulch? was created by Marvel170

Posted 10 years 1 month ago #10621
Hey guys,
I am going to make my own soil for my trees since my collection just keeps growing, and for my organic part of my soil I have decided to use pine bark, but upon looking at the local hardware stores they only have either pine mulch that isn't dyed or anything(I wasn't going to use dyed ones or with additives, any way)or pine nuggets. I was wondering which would be better? I thought that the pine nuggets looked like the pine bark pieces that I have in some soil that I bought from a bonsai store, but I don't want huge pieces of bark in my shohine bonsai that would look just silly. Thanks for all your help in advance.:)
by Marvel170

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic pine nuggets or pine mulch?

Posted 10 years 1 month ago #10623
You must use one which is untreated You need to go to a garden centre and look at what they have. I am not sure it is a good idea to use bark in the mix. If I used any it would be the sort used for orchids which is specially prepared.
by m5eaygeoff

• Marvel170
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Marvel170 on topic pine nuggets or pine mulch?

Posted 10 years 1 month ago #10631
I bought the mulch, but when I put it in my lava and clay mix it didn't look right and so I picked it out, I don't know if I should just keep it inorganic since it rains a bit here in Michigan in the summer. I could add orchid mix to it the only thing is, is the only one that is available is the Miracle Grow orchid mix and I don't know if that would hurt my trees at all..
by Marvel170

• Cooper

Replied by Cooper on topic pine nuggets or pine mulch?

Posted 10 years 1 month ago #10641
I have just repotted my modest little collection using Tesco Low dust cat litter with some pine bark compost, they called it, which I sieved to remove the dustiest portion of.I did this after reading Harry Harrington's article on the subject www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basicscatlitter.htm
Everything looks ok so far
by Cooper

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 10 years 1 month ago #10642
Well, Harry makes a good argument for this product. I have just bought a copy of his first book reprint. I have book number 4 signed. It is s good book, I have the second book too.
I am not convinced, and never will be to use cat litter, but as long as it works for you fine.
I am wary about changing for the sake of it, I did this once before and it was a disaster.
I wonder where you are?
Geoff
by m5eaygeoff

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 10 years 1 month ago #10643
I see that you are in Somerset, where?
by m5eaygeoff

• Cooper

Posted 10 years 1 month ago #10644
I am at Ashcott near Street. All my trees needed repotting badly so it had to be done anyway.
I din't give them the care they should have had when I was working full timebut now I am semi retired I intend to take it a lot more seriously
I have none of these semi dead wood creations that there seem to be so many of nowadays.When I first read books about 25 years ago it was more about growing from seedlings or garden centre stock.Not these great yamadori trees that need two to lift them.
I have a couple of pines I got from the widow of a dabble in bonsai back in 1988 and trees like the Little Field Maple my logo pic. which was bought as a seedling in a plastic beaker at The WI market in Street.
Re repotting- the books then used to recommend Loam+peat compost and some grit or similar which must have,well did, result in very heavy compacted soil which obviously didn't do them much good.
Still despite all this I am enjoying doing it and trying to be a bit more adventurous re styling and more disciplined re feeding. So fingers crossed
Last Edit:10 years 1 month ago by Cooper
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Cooper. Reason: delete picture refference

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 10 years 1 month ago #10645
Ok, you are a bit too far from our group. Do you go to the society in Taunton I wonder?
Do you know John Trott in Shepton Mallett? If you need anything he is your nearest. I am there on Sunday for a workshop.
If you look at blackmore vale bonsai group you will see what we do.
Geoff.
by m5eaygeoff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cooper

• Cooper

Posted 10 years 1 month ago #10646
Cheers Geoff,I know of John but have never met him ,intend to go to Taunton BC next month,now the road is open
by Cooper