Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Repotting the bonsai? 9 years 4 months ago #13323

• iskhan
  • iskhan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Hi

I try re-potting 4 to 5 different fruit's bonsai trees i.e. Orange, Lemon, Mango but every time the tree die. I don't know what is I am doing wrong?

1st Method: When I see the tree pot is fill with roots then take off the tree from the pot and cut all the thick roots and remove some soil around the tree and then put it center on new pot having layer of soil containing this size O of rocks and then put the mixture of compost and this size of O of rocks around it.

2nd Method: When I see the tree pot is fill with roots then take off the tree from the pot and cut all the thick roots and remove all soil of the tree and then put it center on new pot having layer of soil containing this size O of rocks and then put the mixture of compost and this size of O of rocks around it.

3rd Method: When I see the tree pot is fill with roots then take off the tree from the pot and cut all the thick roots only and then put it center on new pot having layer of soil containing this size O of rocks and then put the mixture of compost and this size of O of rocks around it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Repotting the bonsai? 9 years 4 months ago #13325

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
first of all, i don't know what o rocks are, not to sure. that will definitely get us somewhere. the most likely thing as i can possibly tell is that you are taking away to much root or doing it at the wrong time. but a better explanation of the o rock would be good.

Repotting the bonsai? 9 years 4 months ago #13326

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Hi

I try re-potting 4 to 5 different fruit's bonsai trees i.e. Orange, Lemon, Mango but every time the tree die. I don't know what is I am doing wrong?

1st Method: cut all the thick roots

2nd Method: cut all the thick roots

3rd Method: cut all the thick roots

Don't cut all the thick roots.

Repotting the bonsai? 9 years 4 months ago #13327

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Bob, that's a Size.

Ishkan, we all have different screens and resolutions. Typing a 'O' will not tell us anything about what size you mean.
I think by the way that you don't mean rocks, but gravel or pebbles or maybe even akadama.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bob

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Repotting the bonsai? 9 years 4 months ago #13331

• iskhan
  • iskhan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Thanks Auk for explaining Size.
Actually here akadama is not available and available pebbles size are approx. equal to table tannins ball.
Here only available yellow stone/rock like

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

so all the bonsai enthusiast crush these stones in to 2 sizes of Lentils and use it with compost.

I read on internet that thick roots are useless in bonsai the thin/fine roots are important that's why I cut them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bob

Repotting the bonsai? 9 years 4 months ago #13332

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Best you find someone with a bit of experience to assist you with repotting. it is not hard, but it helps if someone shows you. ALso the time of year may be of importance, depending on where you live

Repotting the bonsai? 9 years 4 months ago #13333

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
www.bonsaiempire.com/basics/bonsai-care/repotting

Yes, i agree with auk that you are pruning to much of the roots. Yes, you are right, in bonai we prune the thick roots to encourage th growth of new roots, but, when we say this, we dont mean, disintergrate all the thick roots all at once, but bit by bit. Say for example, on the first year you repot and notice 4 really thick roots, you prune only one of those thick roots then jjust trim all of the really stragly long roots like you would do. Two years later you repot and while doing that you realise where the big thick root was, there are now thinner, more small root tips and hairs-that is good. Then you prune one of the other thick roots leaving only two to go and the trim the really long stragly roots like you would and then next repot you notice where you trimmed the thick root, smaller root tips and fine root hairs have grown.....

You get the rest. You dont just go ape and chop all of the roots otherwise it is to big of a shock an the plant is not getting enough nutrients.

The primary time for repotting is in early-mid spring. I really would advise reading the whole bonsai empire basics pages, i know, it might sound harsh :D but it is definitly worth it.

Repotting the bonsai? 9 years 4 months ago #13334

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

The primary time for repotting is in early-mid spring.

Considering that what Ishkan is growing and his/her name, you may want to reconsider that advise...

Guessing:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_India

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Repotting the bonsai? 9 years 4 months ago #13335

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ah, yes, good spot auk ;)

This is where i am asking a question now :D

When would you repot in india?

Guess: any time of the year?

Thanks ;)

Repotting the bonsai? 9 years 4 months ago #13336

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
India is a country trat stretches from near-temperate high mountains untill dry tropics. There is no such thing as 'the best time in India'.