Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Soil used in nurseries 8 years 7 months ago #16806

• Nikola990
  • Nikola990's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3
Greetings!

I've been working on establishing a small backyard nursery. On this day, I have over 240 privets, cotoneasters and plums, 2 months old (since rooted), developing great. Here's my problem. I planted them in my garden, so they'd develop faster, on 40 square metres, which was by my calculations (considering species I chose, except plums, which are planted elsewhere) enough space for them to grow there for a year and then replant them into big pots. What I'd like to know is, what soil nurseries use for starter trees? By starter trees I mean plants you let grow freely, doing only necessary prunings. Is it ordinary bagged gardening soil, or is it some kind of mixture? As plants are not being trained, my guess is it should be water retentive . Thank you in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Nikola990.

Soil used in nurseries 8 years 7 months ago #16809

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
It all depends on what your aim with your nursery is.
I would suggest you read up on plant physiology a lot, if you want to establish a nursery. For starters, 6 plants per square metre is way to small for plants of any size. Planting in the ground for a year makes nodifference. For bonsai, nurseries would use bonsai soil. Unless in china. THen they are in the ground in pure clay :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nikola990

Soil used in nurseries 8 years 7 months ago #16811

• Nikola990
  • Nikola990's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3
It may seem like that and surely would have been if grown there only, but I've been growing ligustrum for years, for landscaping, so I know how big it gets in a year, and it doesn't get big enough to make a mess on or below the surface, so it's safe for a year. Concerning cotoneaster, it's my first time,I planted it on the side ends, so I could transplant as soon as possible if it's growing rate exceeds my expectations, based on what I read. If I understood you well , it doesn't matter that the plant is not in training and it's let to grow freely, in any way, when potted, it would do best with the bonsai soil?

Last edit: Post by Nikola990.
  • Page: