Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Unorthodox pots. 8 years 2 weeks ago #20253

• Graves78319
  • Graves78319's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello! This is my first post here. I will post pictures of my little collection of trees in training (I really don't have any that I can really consider "bonsai" just yet), but first... I wanted to ask a question:

Is there any reason why I shouldn't repot a tree into a glass "pot"? I have drilled a drainage hole, covered it with a screen, put some small pebbles at the bottom, covered that with Hoffman's Bonsai Soil and placed the tree cutting in there... (not that I actually expect this cutting to propagate, per se, it was really an experiment in aesthetics)

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Unorthodox pots. 8 years 2 weeks ago #20255

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Not really. It will get ugly soon, coated with algea ono the inside. But no biological reason.

Unorthodox pots. 7 years 10 months ago #22057

• Kokedama
  • Thanks received: 0
HI.
When the roots of a tree grow, the outer tip of the root wil die when they come in contact with sunlight. Putting it in a glass pot like this wil eventually be bad for the tree.
That's one thing. The other is when you put a bonsai in the sun for good growth the glass pot will heet up so fast the inner rootball will just boil.

Not good.

For esthetics reason there is not a problem. But for growing the plant wil die eventually.

Gr.

• Page: