Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Use of wooden pots for Bonsai trees 7 years 3 months ago #28621

• Turnedandburned
  • Turnedandburned's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I am completely new to the world of Bonsai. I have a client that wants to buy some of my homemade bowls to put a Bonsai trees in. I normally only put a walnut oil finish on my work but that would not be waterproof.. Does anyone know what I could seal the inside of wooden bowls with which would protect the wood without harming the trees? Now that I look at the trees, I think I want to get one for myself because they go good with the fractal burning patterns on my bowls/pots.
Thanks so much

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Use of wooden pots for Bonsai trees 7 years 3 months ago #28623

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I like the pot.
I am not a fan of using wood as a pot. Inevitably it will be affected at some point. Once a crack starts in the seal, the wood is lost. I would say you can use a wood hardener first, and then a few coats of transparant lacquer (How do you spell that) that is normally used for staircases.. That is very durable. But I think that after a few years these would start to become soggy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Turnedandburned

Use of wooden pots for Bonsai trees 7 years 3 months ago #28628

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
Nice pot. Lichtenberg?

Use of wooden pots for Bonsai trees 7 years 3 months ago #28629

• Turnedandburned
Yes sir. Thanks. I don't think that particular one would be the right shape for holding a Bonsai so I will have to play around with how to make a better suited pot but think the lichtenberg figures will look nice around a Bonsai. Do you think that it would be worthwhile to market some towards this audience? If I send you a pot free of charge could you try it out and make some pictures for me? Let me know and I can get your address. That is after I figure out a safe way to seal the inside of the pot.
Thanks for the reply!

Use of wooden pots for Bonsai trees 7 years 3 months ago #28631

• Turnedandburned
Thanks for the reply. The only sealer I could think of that would not be affected at all by the moisture is a bar top epoxy resin that I can apply a couple of mm thick but I was not sure if that would be ok for the trees. I think it would be but I do NOT want to kill anyone's trees. The client that wanted me to make some is the father of an associate of mine and he lives in China. I did not want to try and start asking questions of him and show my ignorance. That is why I tried to find the best forum to come to so I appreciate the honest feedback.

Use of wooden pots for Bonsai trees 7 years 3 months ago #28633

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Yes sir. Thanks. I don't think that particular one would be the right shape for holding a Bonsai so I will have to play around with how to make a better suited pot

Bonsai pots come in different shapes and sizes, mostly depending on the style of the tree.

but think the lichtenberg figures will look nice around a Bonsai

I think so too.

Do you think that it would be worthwhile to market some towards this audience? If I send you a pot free of charge could you try it out and make some pictures for me?

I'd love to have one - but there's another problem: bonsai are usually kept outside. I do not really have any trees indoors, except for a few Jade tree experiments (which are not bonsai, really)

Use of wooden pots for Bonsai trees 7 years 3 months ago #28645

• Turnedandburned
Thanks. That is a very good point. I think I agree that wood will not work. I will see if maybe he just wants the bowls to decorate inside his house. I just made the assumption that he wanted them for the trees to go in when he told me his dad keeps Bonsai's. I am sure if he keeps them outside he would not want to use wood. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Use of wooden pots for Bonsai trees 7 years 3 months ago #28665

• Turnedandburned
I would still be glad to send you a bowl if you would like to have one but I would not need any pictures since it would not be worthwhile to market for the Bonsai potting. Since I am still in the early stages of building my business I have capacity to make more than I can sell so I have been giving a lot away in order to spread the word of my business. I would like to send you a small one as a gift in hopes that you will let others know about us. You can send me an email if you want one. Russandjason at gmail dot com. Or visit our website at turnedandburned dot com. Thanks again.

Use of wooden pots for Bonsai trees 7 years 3 months ago #28671

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Some nice work in your gallery Russ.

Use of wooden pots for Bonsai trees 7 years 3 months ago #28678

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 101
They might not work for full-time use, but they would look damn good with a tree in them for the length of an exhibition.

• Page: