• Page:

TOPIC:

Hinoki bonsai 10 years 2 weeks ago #10635

• bob
  • bob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
i think this bonsai shop is a really good one, they have got a good range of trees, ready prepared bonsai and tools, soil etc.
they also have a rather peaceful zen garden. they also have classes. if you live in north London, then you can get there in a rather short journey. if you have been there or will go there, i would be happy to see what you think of it.

Address:
Hinoki Bonsai ltd
Culver Garden Centre
Cattlegate Rd
Enfield
Middx
EN2 9DS
United Kingdom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hinoki bonsai 8 years 1 month ago #19045

• Franky
  • Thanks received: 14
I'll preface this by saying my experience might not be typical of the visit I had there.

Yes, they have a lovley garden, but the service was appalling. Two young lads who weren't in the least bothered to help or answer questions. They didn't seem to have any real interest in what I wanted to know, or Bonsai in general. I wondered whether I was even in the right place, and that I hadn't rolled up to a builder's merchant or something similar. I left with a rather pathetic looking Mallsai which I was assured would be, 'alright with a bit of water.' More fool me I know.

Truth is, my initial enthusiasm of getting back into a hobby I had long neglected had diminished, and I just wanted to get out of there. If I had gone with the intnetion of spending a fair amount of money, I would have made my excuses and left.

I persevered and found the place I had intially set out to find, and have written a seperate review as my visit there was entirely different.

In short, this place is easy to find and clearly located, but there may be better places out there.

P.s: in case your wondering, despite all my efforts and hopes, the Bonsai I bought there died a few weeks later. Perhaps subconciously I was giving it a chance of survival: it looked like it needed watering at the very least.

Hinoki bonsai 8 years 1 month ago #19050

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Yes, they have a lovley garden, but the service was appalling. Two young lads who weren't in the least bothered to help or answer questions. They didn't seem to have any real interest in what I wanted to know, or Bonsai in general.

Your opinion is... an opinion from just one person, maybe you just caught them on a bad day, but indeed, looking at their site, while not all their material looks terrible, when I see this for more than 100 euro, it is not something that would make me rush there to buy something:

The good news about this tree though is:

Model WP008
Condition New

This model is new! And "a striking landscape element" too!

Actually... I should learn to get used to this. It would make me so much happier when I look at at my trees, imagine what they would be worth according to these standards, and consider myself rich, at least for a moment.

I left with a rather pathetic looking Mallsai which I was assured would be, 'alright with a bit of water.' More fool me I know.

Truth is, my initial enthusiasm of getting back into a hobby I had long neglected had diminished, and I just wanted to get out of there

You sum up nicely why I am... not a fan of mallsai and why I rant about it too often (trying to cut down though :) )

I was assured would be, 'alright with a bit of water.'

Reminds me of an old friend who went to buy a car. The car dealer told him the car was excellent, it had "just some minor problems. Do you know how to weld?".

There are two articles about mallsai that I found interesting:

forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1376236/mallsai-the-
and
In Defense of the Mallsai

While the first one exaggerates a bit, maybe, I agree with him more than with the second one.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Hinoki bonsai 8 years 1 month ago #19052

• Franky
Thanks for the links, I'll have a read.

I thought it sensible to preface it that way as I wouldn't want to unfairly represent them; as you say, I am only one, and it could well have been a bad day.

Reminds me of an old friend who went to buy a car. The car dealer told him the car was excellent, it had "just some minor problems. Do you know how to weld?".

:)

Last edit: Post by Franky. Reason: Added text

Hinoki bonsai 8 years 1 month ago #19053

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I thought it sensible to preface it that way as I wouldn't want to unfairly represent them; as you say, I am only one, and it could well have been a bad day.

Yes, you did indeed and I completely overlooked it. Sorry for that.

Hinoki bonsai 8 years 1 month ago #19054

• Franky
No worries.

• Page: