TOPIC:

Sageretia Theezans (Bird Plum) 12 years 6 months ago #1590

• Leslie
  • Leslie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hello Bonsai Friends,:cheer:

I was recently given some trimmings from a Sageretia Theezans (Bird Plum) tree. Although they weren't very big cuttings I still wanted to try and root them. Well, they've been in my mini greenhouse for a few weeks now and there is new growth showing at the tops so, I am very excited. :P The Sageretia Theezans is such a lovely and delicate looking bonsai that flowers and fruits and, I fell in love with the little, rose-like leaves.

My mini greenhouse is a plastic container in which pre-roasted chickens come from the supermarket. They have a deep tray which is perfect to hold the soil and a large, clear plastic, domed top with four air vents. All I needed to do was cut some drainage holes in the bottom of the tray.

Here are some photos I took today of the Bird Plum with it's new growth.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Sageretia Theezans (Bird Plum) 12 years 6 months ago #2080

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Hi Leslie,

These look mighty fine and healthy. How are they now? I remember you had some insect-trouble?

Re: Sageretia Theezans (Bird Plum) 12 years 6 months ago #2081

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Jelle,

Thank you so much for asking. My bug problems seem to be cleared up now... everything looks clean! They affected my more mature plants and thankfully not the cuttings.

I ended up having to remove the original dome on my mini-green house because the Bird Plum cuttings were getting too tall for it so I replaced it with a taller plastic covering. The cuttings have grown taller since and are now sprouting all down the main stems. Yippee! :lol: It's really so exciting. I didn't loose one of them.

Last night I took the plastic covering off over night for the first time (as you suggested). How long do I do this for Jelle? At what point does a cutting get transplanted to it's own pot? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for dropping by! :cheer:

Re: Sageretia Theezans (Bird Plum) 12 years 5 months ago #2156

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi All,

I took some new photos today that follow up the previous, recent posting. As you can see the cuttings have taken well and doubled in size.

As I noted in the previous posting, I have been removing the plastic tent covering at night for about a week now and replacing it in the morning and thru-out the day. I need some advice please re:

1. What is the next step with the plastic tent?

2. At what stage are they ready to be repotted into their own little pots?

3. When do I begin pruning to encourage branching?

4. When can I begin feeding them?

Any other advice?
Here are the photos:

This message has attachments images.

Re: Sageretia Theezans (Bird Plum) 12 years 5 months ago #2215

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi,
THese look fine. I would leave them in their for another few weeks. Leave the top of, the trees should be getting used to the in-house air. (Your heating is not yeat on?)

Feeding.. You should not have to feed them for the first month or so. You can trim them when you want. They have set root, and should be able to deal with it now. But best you decide where you want the tree to go. How tall, thick etc. THat will assist in the path to follow.

As for theo others: Leave them to develope roots for now. You COULD transplant themm, but if you do not have a lot of experience, there is a big risk of breaking the roots now.

Re: Sageretia Theezans (Bird Plum) 12 years 5 months ago #2234

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi J,

Thank you once again for your advice and support. :cheer:

So I can take the covering off completely now?...day and night? No, my heating is not on yet...I have Southern exposure and large windows which warms my apartment up nicely during the day.

I have had my cuttings placed in bright, indirect light and recently with a little bit of morning sun. Can I now move them into direct sun?

Re: Sageretia Theezans (Bird Plum) 12 years 5 months ago #2238

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Leslie,

Direct sunlight is something of a worry for some trees. Some of the trees are used to shade in their younger years. I *think* plums might be an understory tree, which would mean that filtered light is sufficient. Have a look on the web; I have never grown one

Re: Sageretia Theezans (Bird Plum) 12 years 5 months ago #2240

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Jelle,

Thank you for your help. :cheer: You are right, the Chinese Bird Plum can only take morning sun. I didn't think of checking my research notes before asking the question...:whistle: Duh!

Oh-oh...I have my variegated Ficus cuttings in the same flat/tray with the Bird Plum cuttings...and Ficus like direct sun! :pinch: I guess I will have to let them grow a little more with the bright, indirect light then transplant them into their own small pots. (?) ;)

Re: Sageretia Theezans (Bird Plum) 12 years 4 months ago #2833

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Everyone! :cheer:

Time for an update! It's been about 13 weeks since I planted these cuttings in seed-starting mix in hopes they would form roots. They have rooted well. My last update was about 7 weeks ago and, since then, I trimmed the cuttings' apical growth back by only one set of leaves...I was too nervous to trim anymore at the time. :blush: As a result they all back budded like crazy with newly sprouted leaves and developed some branching. The best developed of the four cuttings (back right-the bushiest one) is 5-1/2 inches tall (14 cm) and has grown a total of "8" branches! :woohoo: Can you believe it? I think this one would be nice as an informal upright form and I'd like it to grow between 12-15 inches tall maximun (30-38 cm). I prefer smaller sized trees. Any thoughts on this? :)

Here is a group photo of all four baby trees. I will discusss the others following the photo...

The one in the back-left that bends and leans far to the left is 6 inches (15 cm) tall when straightened. It has developed lots of leaves since I trimmed it but only one branch lower on the stem and, at the apex where it was trimmed back by one set of leaves and developed two branches creating a "Y" formation where it turns upward toward the sky. I think this one is suitable for a "leaning" form. What do YOU think? Any ideas or suggestions? :)

The third treelet ;) (right front) is 5 inches (13 cm) tall and has a very gentle S-curve to the trunk. After the slight trimming it grew lots of leaves down the main stem but only one branchlet two thirds of the way up the stem. I think I would like to create a shohin with this one with a maximum height of 5-6 inches (13-15cm)...remember, it is at 5 inches now. What are your thoughts, please? :P

The fourth and smallest treelet (left front) back-budded forming lots of new leaves but no branches. It stands at 3 inches (7.5cm) tall. I would like to create a 3 inch shohin with this one. I think it definitely needs to grow some branches. Any thoughts or suggestions? :silly:

I believe my main focus for these treelets right now needs to be on developing root mass and trunk thickness while keeping in mind that branch development assists in creating trunk mass. I do not want or like extremely massive trunks but rather well developed, healthy and moderately thick trunks with interesting characteristics. So...with the above info in mind, I'm looking for guidance on whether or not I should be trimming and/or pruning these treelets now or letting them grow out for now to achieve root mass and trunk thickness? I also really need some guidance on creating the two shohins. I look forward to your comments, ideas and guidance. Thanks for listening! :P

This message has an attachment image.

Last edit: Post by Leslie. Reason: made two corrections

Re: Sageretia Theezans (Bird Plum) 12 years 4 months ago #2836

• aklister71
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 2
B) Nice lookin' trees !

I don't have much experience to share with you, but I would recommend allowing the back two to grow wild for a while. :blink: Since you wanna keep the front two as Shohin, I would maintain them with regular trimming and pruning. That way you don't have a large scar where you cut down the trunk. :S

I will be following your progress and look forward to seeing how they look in a few months or so. :P

• Page: