Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Ficus Carica Training 11 years 1 month ago #8178

• BRJ
  • BRJ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Hi all,

I recently purchased a ficus carica tree for future use as a bonsai. I placed the tree in a training pot to give the trunk some thickness before re-potting as a bonsai. The tree is currently about 2.5 ft tall. Eventually, I would like to raise it as an informal upright.

As I am new to the training phase, I want to get your advice on the best way to proceed. Where is the best place to make a reduction? As you can see in the picture, the tree's trunk is straight for about 4 inches prior to a slight bend.

Also, when is the best time to make this (somewhat major) cutback, both in terms of the health of the tree as well as for maximum trunk thickness? As you can see, new leaves are beginning to form. Should I be concerned with leaving some green on the tree? Do you recommend a wound sealant?

Thanks for all of your feedback--I really appreciate it. Apologies for the poor contrast of the photo.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: pieterbosch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ficus Carica Training 11 years 1 month ago #8182

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
How thiuck do you want the tree to be. If you want the trunk to grow bigger, don't cut it.

Ficus Carica Training 11 years 1 month ago #8185

• BRJ
Thanks Leatherback, I would like to double the diameter so I won't cut it for now. I have seen some excellent examples of this species as a bonsai (attached), so I am interested to see how it progresses.

Please let me know if you have any other tips for raising the tree apart from the usual watering / sunlight regiment.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Ficus Carica Training 11 years 1 month ago #8188

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
well.. I did write an article on it once.. www.bonsaiempire.com/articles/advanced/bonsai-trunk-creation

Ficus Carica Training 11 years 1 month ago #8191

• BRJ
Wow, excellent article--I appreciate practicality of it, as well as the proportions and rules of thumb you included. Thanks.

Ficus Carica Training 11 years 1 month ago #8193

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
if you look at the pic of the tree you can see that the trunk and branches were cut after they were fattened up to that size.the secondary branches and leaves that are on it now are 4 to 6 months of growth.
a large pot,alot of sun/light and a rigorous fertalizer schedual will give you faster growth. if you want,it is a good time to give the trunk some movement before it gets too fat

Ficus Carica Training 11 years 1 month ago #8195

• BRJ
Good observation Manoftrees. Do you have any recommendations on fertilizer quantity / frequency for a training pot? I have heard every two weeks, but I'm not sure how many pellets to use (I use Osmocot).

Ficus Carica Training 11 years 1 month ago #8197

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Osmocote is a slow-release fortiliser. You do not give these every two weeks. Every two weeks is for liquid fertiliser dissolved in the water.

As for the branches being cut after fattening up. If I look really carefully, I think I see that the trunk has plenty of old branch attachments. The trunk was shaped by growin out the top, cutting it down, and growing out the lower branches, and removing them completely. Probably then the branches were left to grow out for a year or so, reduced. Then the new side branches produced the green you see now.

Ficus Carica Training 11 years 1 month ago #8198

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
what are the NPK numbers? i use a 12/12/12 in the spring on my trees. this will last 3 to 4 months, this will be enough in the soil. for ficus in particular i use a 7/7/7 liquid fert. about a 1/4 teaspoon to a 16 oz bottle of water and mist daily with this.when it is gone i mist with regular water for the rest of the month and repeatthe next month... ficus absorb nutients very well through their leaves.you may notice a white residue on the leaves ,this is just from the fert. and will come off with the plain water application

Ficus Carica Training 11 years 1 month ago #8200

• BRJ
Thanks. The formula I use is 14/14/14, so I take it this will last quite a while. So if I understand correctly, you apply fertilizer both to the soil and to the leaves (via mist) simultaneously during growing season?

• Page: