Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

ficus 8 years 1 month ago #19055

• codeman_11901
  • codeman_11901's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 5
Well, here is the first tree I ever bought. I have done nothing with this tree for three years, simply watered it and kept it alive. I did the first styling on it as seen in the picture. Before this it was a broom style. Everything pointed up and there wasn't and still isn't much structure. I learned alot in this process. I have been one of those people who are too afraid to experiment with a tree. I know there are some major flaws with this tree but I am proud it is alive. Aside from that, its pretty rough.

So let's hear some opinions. I am curious about some styling ideas.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ficus 8 years 1 month ago #19056

• codeman_11901
Sorry about the sideways photo.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

ficus 8 years 1 month ago #19059

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 101
Are you sure that was three years of growth? :huh:

I would recommend letting it grow a bit before styling it :unsure:

Ed

ficus 8 years 1 month ago #19061

• codeman_11901
Unfortunately, yes. I tried to wire the main branches that i plan to keep. Aside from the one at the far left. Right now the scale is all cattywompus. Do you think it is worth cutting the branches back close to the trunk and trying for a shohin? Or just let it go and come back to it in a few years?

ficus 8 years 1 month ago #19063

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Unfortunately, yes. I tried to wire the main branches that i plan to keep. Aside from the one at the far left. Right now the scale is all cattywompus. Do you think it is worth cutting the branches back close to the trunk and trying for a shohin? Or just let it go and come back to it in a few years?

The thing you did right was to not kill it :)

First I'd try and make it stronger. It doesn't have too much foliage, it'll need more. Proper soil, light and fertilizer should help.

You may want to research 'ficus backbudding' - you'll need more buds (and growth) closer to the trunk. I probably wouldn't prune before that happens. Or wait for Leatherback, he's the ficus expert.

ficus 8 years 1 month ago #19065

• codeman_11901
Thanks Auk, it is growing new foliage, but a south facing window isnt even close to a summer outside. I will post a photo this summer, it explodes. And yes, i do need to push the foliage back, but i am waiting until strong growth starts this summer so it recovers from the brutality I will be putting it through :lol:

It needs a repot badly, and hopefully i can get it on the right track this summer. Nothing ventured, nothing gained right? :)

ficus 8 years 1 month ago #19066

• codeman_11901
Thanks Auk, it is growing new foliage, but a south facing window isnt even close to a summer outside. I will post a photo this summer, it explodes. And yes, i do need to push the foliage back, but i am waiting until strong growth starts this summer so it recovers from the brutality I will be putting it through :lol:

It needs a repot badly, and hopefully i can get it on the right track this summer. Nothing ventured, nothing gained right? :)

ficus 8 years 1 month ago #19072

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
I would give it a bit more legroom. Do not work trees when they are not healthy. Certainly do not work ficus in the dead of winter if they are not healthy.

Just leave it alone untill it explodes.With more leg room, sunlicht & lots of water & fertilizer, backbudding should come bu itself. If it does not, you can defoliate ONCE IT IS HEALTHY in mid-summer. Make sure you then also remove all the green tips from the branches.

Ficus are easy, once you know what to do. A window is plenty; I get loads of growth. Also in winter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gajananchavhan

ficus 8 years 1 month ago #19078

• codeman_11901
Thanks again leatherback!

Sounds like a little more diligence on my part is all thats required. That and leaving it alone in winter. Tisk tisk on my part, I know.

ficus 8 years 1 month ago #19087

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
lol.

Feels like I am repeating the same post over and over again sometimes :D

#1 for succes in bonsai is learning how to keep trees healthy, and only work them when they are ready. Then you can do a lot, without real risk.

• Page: