Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

New to Bonsai 7 years 6 months ago #25243

• Organic Chris
  • Organic Chris's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello. Thanks for looking. My name is Chris, from Long Island NY. I am new to the art of bonsai, and I would like to meet others who are professionals who I can learn from, and I would also like to know if there is any possibility of getting a hold of seeds to some Italian and Japanese varieties of pines and trees used in Bonsai. Especially the Italian Stone Pine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New to Bonsai 7 years 6 months ago #25246

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 101
I wouldn't recommend growing from seed or cultivating pines as a beginner, as both may be too hard for you to do.
Try looking for a Bonsai club to join, as they are great places for beginners to learn and buy proper material to use.

www.longislandbonsai.org/

Ed

New to Bonsai 7 years 6 months ago #25259

• Organic Chris
I am in no way shape or form new to growing from seeds. I am a VERY experienced farmer and gardener. I have close to 4000 plants growing this season, and I propagate and save my own seeds for the next growing season. I stratify seeds as well. So, the reason I say I want to do them from seeds is because I love growing from seeds. Plus I get to watch the grow.
So, I AM new to bonsai, but I am NOT new to growing. lol.
Just wanted to clarify.

New to Bonsai 7 years 6 months ago #25260

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
Well, providing you have 20 years to wait, and enjoy twiddling your thumbs then fine, grow from seed but you will give up long before you have trees to work on unless you use material the is much older while you wait for the seeds to germinate and grow to a usable size. Most growers find material that is much bigger and can be worked on. You will have nothing to do for at the very least 5 years, other than pot on or in the ground weed.

New to Bonsai 7 years 6 months ago #25272

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

You will have nothing to do for at the very least 5 years, other than pot on or in the ground weed.

And wire in year 2! VERY important!

New to Bonsai 7 years 6 months ago #25274

• Organic Chris
I had a feeling that it takes that long to grow. That would be cool though. I am not looking to make money from these things, not right now anyway. I just want to learn, and watch them grow. I grow fruit trees too, which some of those things take 10+ years to produce fruit . So, I won't quit.
Now, I would love to learn properly, because it would be stupid to spend the time to grow without knowing how to wire properly, and so on. But, I can not join a club, because I do not have the funds to pay for it right now. I have the wire, and the clippers, and other tools that I have collected over the years, but, I have NO idea how to wire properly. I could probably learn by watching videos online, but, I would rather learn by watching someone. Plus, I work from 3PM until 6AM, Monday through Friday. So, it is difficult to get to meetings, since they are usually on weekday evenings.
So, yeah. that is a little bit about me.

New to Bonsai 7 years 6 months ago #25275

• Winter
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 29
I like your point of view.
A lot of beautiful bonsais took 150 or more years to be what they are today - nobody would even start them unless they thought about the tree and the process before thinking about themselves. That's exactly it in my opinion - you have to love the process more than the final result. Think as you will never die! In fact I'm bored with a tree when it is close to the final design, but love imagining the work it still needs to be done in the following 20 years (although a bonsai is never done).
I have old trees taken from nature, probably 30-0 years old (love the pines), but just planted my first pine seed and love watching it growing (see attached pic).
So I say go for it. Hope to see pictures of your bonsais on this forum in the following years.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

New to Bonsai 7 years 6 months ago #25276

• Winter
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
... and by the way I also love the Italian stone pine. There are many growing where I live (i'm 5 min from the Italian border).
I never could find a good one in the wild as bonsai material, so I'll take the seeds - will try to collect them within this month and will let you know if I doo.

New to Bonsai 7 years 6 months ago #25277

• Organic Chris
That would be absolutely amazing. Like, seriously. To get seeds straight from Italy. I would SOOOOO appreciate it. Here is my email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and my Facebook: www.facebook.com/Gumby.Christosolo . Keep in touch. I really appreciate it.

New to Bonsai 7 years 6 months ago #25278

• Winter
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Chris,
Im checking the net now and I'm 99,9% sure the seeds I already have and the one growing in the previously attached picture is an Italian stone pine. I wasn't even thinking about this but now I remember that my son collected the cone where there are no red pines growing - and it's in front of his school. I'll take the picture of the mother-tree and send it to you first thing in the morning. Now you have the pictures of the seeds in att.
This might have turned out just well!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.