Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Pinus mugo mops advice 7 years 7 months ago #25296

• davekorcak
  • davekorcak's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello, i live in Czech Republic (not absolute USDA 7a),today i bought at discount in a garden centre a beautiful mugo mops pine. It has really short needles (similiar to japanese white pine)
It has strong roots, big trunk in lower part and pretty good shape. Can i prune it now (we have end of the summer now) or wait to spring? My plan was to prune and wire and next year place to a bonsai pot. Can i prune branches anywhere ( like 3-5 cm from end)? My plan is to make a moyogi or chokkan from it, maybe over a small rock.
Thanks for feedback.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pinus mugo mops advice 7 years 7 months ago #25299

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

It has strong roots, big trunk in lower part and pretty good shape. Can i prune it now (we have end of the summer now) or wait to spring? My plan was to prune and wire and next year place to a bonsai pot. Can i prune branches anywhere ( like 3-5 cm from end)?

You cannot just prune a pine. There's a specific time for pruning, decandling, needle pinching etc. Do note that different pine species may require different techniques. This is not the place to give a complete explanation on how to train a Mugo Pine.
I suggest you start researching. There are many sites with good and extensive information, like this one:
www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATMugo%20Pines%20Indepth.htm

Pay attention to the part concerning 'Insulting a pine'. If it is a mature tree:
Your plan to "prune and wire and next year place to a bonsai pot" WILL kill it.

You're not in a rush. First learn and understand how to work with this pine. Learn what, why and how to prune and when and how to wire and repot.

I'd like to see a photo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: davekorcak

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Pinus mugo mops advice 7 years 7 months ago #25300

• davekorcak
Here it is, i thought i can make a semi-chokkan.
I like the top and the roots are strong to be without soil.
m.imgur.com/a/x4JPC

Pinus mugo mops advice 7 years 7 months ago #25301

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Here it is, i thought i can make a semi-chokkan.
I like the top and the roots are strong to be without soil.
m.imgur.com/a/x4JPC

Please post photos on the forum. I - and others - will not follow links to external image sites.

Pinus mugo mops advice 7 years 7 months ago #25315

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 151
Well i was going to format my hard drive, soon, and never do banking things on this machine, so, took the liberties.

The top's, not to bad, but then you'll need to re pot it, which will mean, raking, out the roots (it's nursery stock).
It's to late in the year for that.
Put it in the ground, pack it in mulch, or just rip the pot up and plant it (minimal root disturbance).
You need to protect the roots, until spring, then rake them out, replant, and wait a year or so. So the roots can recover.
Then study pines. Some you can only work, once a year.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by Samantha.

Pinus mugo mops advice 7 years 7 months ago #25319

• Winter
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 29
15 years ago, when I first started looking into the world of bonsai the information on the net were very poor comparing to today. I remember borrowing and making black and white copies of magazines I could find and studying them, the looking at them over and over again just because I loved the pictures of the trees.
Today you can find all the necessary information on the web, yet the beginners are only interested in the final result - are not even willing to search the information themselves but ask others to do so.
... buying a tree from a nursery, cutting and wiring it in the same week, then putting it in a bonsai pot the next spring - oh please.
The following user(s) said Thank You: simplysaid, davekorcak

Pinus mugo mops advice 7 years 7 months ago #25323

• davekorcak
I am really sorry about the photo, i took it with my phone but it was very big so i must did it over another site. I have read site that i got from Auk. By replanting it next year you mean putting it in a bonsai pot or in a normal pot? I will find other info online about pinus mugo but i found that only one site.

Pinus mugo mops advice 7 years 7 months ago #25326

• Mr makagi
  • Thanks received: 2
my advice comes from making mistakes ... & the advice is ..take your time ... imagine the rate at which a tree grows learn practice and wait for the tree to be ready .... :) good luck & enjoy

Pinus mugo mops advice 7 years 7 months ago #25331

• davekorcak
I checked the roots and they look healthy, mycarhizze all over them and they are even growing out of the bottom of the pot, so i think the tree is in the pot long enough. Also, the garden centre was more like Japanese garden and bonsai centre so i think this one is ready to be minimized.

Pinus mugo mops advice 7 years 7 months ago #25353

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

I checked the roots and they look healthy, mycarhizze all over them and they are even growing out of the bottom of the pot, so i think the tree is in the pot long enough. Also, the garden centre was more like Japanese garden and bonsai centre so i think this one is ready to be minimized.

I think yu are misunderstanding. It is not about the tree not beingg ready.. it is about not doing all within one year and not just trimming. Trees dy when you do too much too soon. And pines are especially tricky. And trimming requireds for pines a specific time of your. So leanr patience. Read up. Understand what you can do at which time.