• Page:

TOPIC: Pinus Sylvestris Evolution

Pinus Sylvestris Evolution 1 year 4 months ago #38416

Hello there,

I wanted to share this Pinus Sylvestris evolution, belonging to one of our Bonsai Club members, with you. But first, backgrounds... This pine was collected back in 2013 in Spain mountains. The owner placed it within a Polystyrene pot, which is magnificent for the continental weather (a very hot dry summer and a very cold winters) present in the middle of the Peninsula by the way, and aimed to strengthen it without doing anything to this Pine during a four years timeframe. So, last year he performed the first styling work, including a thorough repotting (also changed the repotting angle of the tree), pruning, dead wood features and some crazy, mind blowing branch bending. So, here goes the sequence:

Back in 2013 at collection time:

Back in 2017 at first styling time:

March 2018, current status:

So, I´d like to hear your thoughts on this tree. Also, if you feel like having some more detailed info regarding this tree you can find it here (in Spanish):

nintaibonsai.wordpress.com/2017/03/27/mo...o-un-pino-silvestre/

Alain

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio
  • alainleon1983
  • alainleon1983's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 182

Pinus Sylvestris Evolution 1 year 4 months ago #38419

Hello Alain.
I like the way it was styled for the first time except the huge dead top - I would remove most of it.
Like this:

As to the current status - it would need more photos from various angles to get the proper idea.

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tastybonsai
  • Mimo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 524

Pinus Sylvestris Evolution 1 year 4 months ago #38421

I don't know if I see it well, but the second styling seems to get the lowest branch too low. At least for my taste
  • Madartej21
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 100

Pinus Sylvestris Evolution 1 year 4 months ago #38422

Madartej21 wrote: I don't know if I see it well, but the second styling seems to get the lowest branch too low. At least for my taste

That is exactly my feeling also!
  • Clicio
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1062

Pinus Sylvestris Evolution 1 year 4 months ago #38423

I think that third photo is actual state after some time of free growth and not the pic after the last styling lads :)
  • Mimo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 524

Pinus Sylvestris Evolution 1 year 4 months ago #38424

Mimo wrote: I think that third photo is actual state after some time of free growth and not the pic after the last styling lads :)

Yeah its pretty obvious it was let to grow free ater styling. Im just pointing out that the lowest branch is not really moving to the right direction so it might need further training. But its just an opinion after all
  • Madartej21
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 100

Pinus Sylvestris Evolution 1 year 4 months ago #38425

This becoming a nice tree. Just one comment and not a critisism, I have a similar Scots Pine and it has a bulge just like this one. I don't know what to do with it. Are you going to leave it as it is or are you going to remove or try to disguise it?
Geoff.
  • m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 397

Pinus Sylvestris Evolution 1 year 4 months ago #38429

First of all, I do like the tree, and with future styling it will possibly be a very nice bonsai.
I wonder what are the wires doing to the dead wood?
IF those branches are dead wood, of course!

This message has attachments images.

• Clicio
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1062

Pinus Sylvestris Evolution 1 year 4 months ago #38437

Mimo wrote: Hello Alain.
I like the way it was styled for the first time except the huge dead top - I would remove most of it.

Hello Mimo,

Yes, indeed... Totally agree with you. This tree we called it "The Deer". Too much and too fancy dead wood. The thing is the owner at first styling (back in 2017) wanted to have as much dead wood as possible, so it could naturally dry out (no Jin liquid has been applied to the tree) and in the future he could decide which dead branches he would keep. This time, he didn´t want to address that issue just yet and left it as it was by the time being. But in any case, it won´t be a permanent solution.

Thanks Mimo,

Alain
  • alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Pinus Sylvestris Evolution 1 year 4 months ago #38438

Mimo wrote: I think that third photo is actual state after some time of free growth and not the pic after the last styling lads :)

Madartej21 wrote: Yeah its pretty obvious it was let to grow free ater styling. Im just pointing out that the lowest branch is not really moving to the right direction so it might need further training. But its just an opinion after all

Clicio wrote: I wonder what are the wires doing to the dead wood?
IF those branches are dead wood, of course!

Ha, sorry guys... My mistake, a honest one by the way. After reading these lines they got me thinking... Specially the last one by Clicio. The thing is I exchanged the images :blush: Wish I could edit that entry, but now I can´t.

The second one is actually current state (2018) and the third one is from 2017 after first styling. The wire is wrapping the deadwood, because at first styling time it wasn´t still dead and that branch needed to be repositioned in a different location/angle. Please, also do notice how in the second image the deadwood looks more consolidated. That is, of course, because a full year has passed.

Again, sorry for my mistake... So silly :blink:

Alain
  • alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Page: