• Page:

TOPIC: To Nuki or not Tanuki?

To Nuki or not Tanuki? 1 year 1 day ago #38497

In another post there was some initial discussion on Tanuki ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadwood_bonsai_techniques )

In an open discussion I would like to ask.. Is this a bad thing?

My view: Tanuki is one of the ways to create a plant that gives the impression of being a miniature tree. In that sense, it fits within bonsai. Why not see tanuki as a specific style within bonsai? Createing a good tanuki (In which you do not see that this was done) requires skills beyond what most of us possess.

I like to compare it to grafting foliage. In some cases you just move a branch (You effectively put a branch in a position where the tree did not grow one...!). And in some you put roots on the tree (Maybe through grafting, or through layering). And in some cases all foliage is reoplaced by that of a better species. Is that not just as fake?

Discuss please :D :whistle:
  • leatherback
  • leatherback's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1765

To Nuki or not Tanuki? 1 year 1 day ago #38499

Well... seeing it that way...

I stay with my opinion in the other topic :)
  • Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1330

To Nuki or not Tanuki? 1 year 1 day ago #38501

leatherback wrote: Is that not just as fake?

I think is not fake if it states clearly that grafting, tanuki or any technique was used to get the results.
But when you see the real thing (in the case of deadwood), it IS completely different.
Better, in my humble opinion!
  • Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 767

To Nuki or not Tanuki? 1 year 1 day ago #38506

As I said in the other topic I really think one needs experience and lots of work and knowledge to create a nice tanuki. Does it resemble a mature tree? Yes. Is it in a pot? Yes. Is it considered a bonsai? Apparently not.

Sometimes dead trees in the nature got grown around by other trees. In that way, you create something that you can also see in the nature.

On the other hand I have mixed feelings about it, and I don't like tanukis for sure. But I feel like they deserve a place between bonsai styles
  • Madartej21
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 100

To Nuki or not Tanuki? 1 year 1 day ago #38521

Is tanuki any different than thread grafting a branch or root? Or grafting onto another rootstock? I don't think so. I know someone who is very good at making tanuki, and if done well can be very effective. Is it bonsai? Yes I think it is,
Geoff.
  • m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 348

To Nuki or not Tanuki? 1 year 1 day ago #38523

From my point of view it can be regarded as another technique that fits a purpose and that correctly applied in the hands of an expert it helps the tree and the designer reach the final goal... That is resembling a real tree in the real world, but just in a miniaturized scale and planted within a constrained space or pot. I don´t see why it should be any different that other more orthodox and less controversial techniques when acknowledging its validity.

So, finally... Can a tree in which this technique has been applied can be regarded as a valid Bonsai? Im my eyes and in my humble opinion, yes it can... Or even maybe, yes it should.

Alain
  • alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 182

To Nuki or not Tanuki? 1 year 3 hours ago #38580

Thanks for this interesting topic guys. Laugh on me but I never knew about Tanuki before.

I leave this article here to contribute on the subject - bonsailearningcenter.com/2016/02/creating-a-tanuki-bonsai/
  • spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 111
  • Page: