• Page:

TOPIC: moss

moss 1 year 1 month ago #38594

I have an acer that I am begining to train as a bonsai... from what I have read, moss can aid in the production of nebari, as well as help the roots grow stronger and better near the soil surface.

so my question: how do you get moss to grow? the few times I've collected moss, I have not been able to get it to take. do you use spores? or what is it you do to get it to grow?

The suggestions from the website here include covering the soil with a thin layer of potting soil, and planting the moss on that. is there anything else I might want to pay attention to?
  • tubaboy
  • tubaboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 95

moss 1 year 1 month ago #38595

put it in my garden for a day...

I have moss growing everywhere and treat my plants with algea killer every year to reduce the amount of moss on them. I letterally have moss growing in the crown of my junipers if I do not take care. All my garden is covered in the stupid stuff.
  • leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1893

moss 1 year 1 month ago #38597

:-) knowing the kinds of trees you have, I may have to come and pay a visit sometime. taking all the trees I want to get Moss to grow on could be difficult, or as my German friends say: umständlich. :-)
  • tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

moss 1 year 1 month ago #38598

I really think moss has the advantages to the tree and to the look as well.

I could not keep them well on my pots though.

What I noticed is that moss collected from similar circumstances as my inorganic substrate does better. I mostly use crushed zeolite and moss collected from rocky hills seemed a better choice than moss collected from wet hummus at the feet of a tree.

But if you use organic, then the latter option might be better for you.

I also read somewhere that they pour very small particle size(compared to the original potting sizes) inorganic material (akadama, zeolite anything) on the top of the surface so the moss will get its feet more easily.
  • Madartej21
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 100

moss 1 year 1 month ago #38599

The website here says to add some regular putting soil to the top of the bonsai soil.
I think I might try that.. and take some Moss growing on the old city walls near where I live and see how that goes.
  • tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

moss 1 year 1 month ago #38600

tubaboy wrote: how do you get moss to grow? the few times I've collected moss, I have not been able to get it to take. do you use spores? or what is it you do to get it to grow?

Hey there tubaboy...

I´m sure you´d be interested in reading this forum´s old thread:

www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/related-arts/...oss-landscapes#13901

Hope it helps your purpose of growing moss.

Alain
  • alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 182

moss 1 year 1 month ago #38601

leatherback wrote: put it in my garden for a day...

I have moss growing everywhere and treat my plants with algea killer every year to reduce the amount of moss on them. I letterally have moss growing in the crown of my junipers if I do not take care. All my garden is covered in the stupid stuff.

Ha... Maybe you can pass some to other members like me that in summer time might easily reach up to 45 ºC and receive not rain whatsoever in weeks. Moss really has a hard time enduring such conditions, even in top of my tree´s substrate and even if I water them twice a day in those hotter days. :cheer:

Alain
  • alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 182

moss 1 year 1 month ago #38606

I seem to have no problem keeping moss alive, especially on the ones that are in semi shade. I keep some moss in the shade in a tray with plenty of moisture and when I want to dress my tree for display I have plenty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio
  • m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 370

moss 1 year 1 month ago #38671

m5eaygeoff wrote: I seem to have no problem keeping moss alive, especially on the ones that are in semi shade. I keep some moss in the shade in a tray with plenty of moisture and when I want to dress my tree for display I have plenty.

I probably won't this time either... the last time I tried, I had less than ideal conditions... and I was able to get a lot of moss this time.. If I can get it to take, I'll post a couple of pictures.
  • tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Page: