Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: when did you last have to water

when did you last have to water 1 year 6 months ago #38915

I don't know about the rest of Europe,or elsewhere, and obviously there are variations, but I have not watered my trees since about October. They are just not drying out. We have had so much rain in the last 10 days or so, they are so wet that they will take a while to dry out when and if it ever stops.
The temperatures have been below average as well. Having said that the trees are moving on, even my Mulberrys have buds and they are usually late.
My deciduous repotting is over now as the buds are too far advanced on most,
Geoff.
  • m5eaygeoff
  • m5eaygeoff's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 422

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

when did you last have to water 1 year 6 months ago #38921

Yesterday. And friday latests again. Here the season has begun
  • leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 2190

when did you last have to water 1 year 6 months ago #38923

You are luckier than me then. We had three days when it hardly stopped, and the last two have been heavy showers.
  • m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

when did you last have to water 1 year 6 months ago #38925

Same here, october or so. That's half a year ago... it's supposed to get warmer now so it's going to be a bit risky. I have a few tiny accent plants and some new trees - dwarf species. Due to circumstances I have not been living at home since Christmas and only occasionally go there. I will need to closely watch the forecasts and the weather and make sure I go and water them when needed. The big trees will be fine, but the small ones, in small pots, can dry out quickly.
  • Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1571

when did you last have to water 1 year 6 months ago #38931

I didn't have to water any of them until three weeks ago. Since then I have to water them twice a day sometimes as it goes above 20C. I live in Hungary
  • Madartej21
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 101

when did you last have to water 1 year 6 months ago #38933

Well, we have only once so far this year seen above 10C and not for long then. Today it is sunny, but how long it will last I don't know.
But I am sure it will change eventually. At least there is tons of moss growing everywhere for me to collect!
Geoff.
  • m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

when did you last have to water 1 year 6 months ago #38934

My mosses are already yellow and dried out :cheer:
  • Madartej21
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 101

when did you last have to water 1 year 6 months ago #38935

You can have some of mine, I have never seen so much. I think I might emigrate.
  • m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

when did you last have to water 1 year 6 months ago #38937

m5eaygeoff wrote: I don't know about the rest of Europe,or elsewhere, and obviously there are variations, but I have not watered my trees since about October. They are just not drying out. We have had so much rain in the last 10 days or so, they are so wet that they will take a while to dry out when and if it ever stops.

This year in the middle of the Peninsula (Spain) it has rained more than previous years and temps have been hovering around -2ºC at night and 10ºC during the day. Now that spring is coming rain has almost completely ceased and temps have gone up to 5ºC at night and 18ºC at day. That said, in winter there were times in which I watered my trees maybe weekly or longer and now I´m watering them maybe every 3 or 4 days. They all seem to be doing just fine so far.

Madartej21 wrote: I have to water them twice a day sometimes as it goes above 20C. I live in Hungary

Uhmmm... Without fully knowing your environment or your trees I´d dare to ask... Isn´t watering twice a day in Hungary with high temps at 20ºC too much or to often for your trees? Do they actually dry out the substrate´s surface (or interior for that matter)?

Here, in summer, when temps raise up to 40ºC-45ºC I watered my trees twice a day and sometimes even only one and they are still pretty much alive (including an Arce Palmatum, and this species won´t mind much having its feet wet).

Alain
  • alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 182

when did you last have to water 1 year 6 months ago #38942

During our summer unless the temperature gets above 25C and sunny I would not be watering more than once, but if it kept up like that for more than a few days then I would be needing to water twice. Last year I think I watered three times only once or twice but that was when it was over 30C for a day or two. It does of course depend on the size of the pot as well.
There are so many variables,
Geoff.
  • m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

• Page: