m5eaygeoff wrote: There are so many variables,

Indeed! :woohoo:
  • alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 182

when did you last have to water 1 year 1 month ago #38947

You guys are lucky.
The long spring/summer here, almost 6 months, we have to water a lot, most of the time twice a day except for the pines.
Winters are very dry here, almost never rains, sooo...
We have to water every other day.
Watering never stops for us.
  • Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 865

when did you last have to water 1 year 1 month ago #38948

alainleon1983 wrote:

m5eaygeoff wrote:

Madartej21 wrote: I have to water them twice a day sometimes as it goes above 20C. I live in Hungary

Uhmmm... Without fully knowing your environment or your trees I´d dare to ask... Isn´t watering twice a day in Hungary with high temps at 20ºC too much or to often for your trees? Do they actually dry out the substrate´s surface (or interior for that matter)?

Here, in summer, when temps raise up to 40ºC-45ºC I watered my trees twice a day and sometimes even only one and they are still pretty much alive (including an Arce Palmatum, and this species won´t mind much having its feet wet).

Alain

Most of my trees are in small pots and in pure zeolite. They dry out very quick. I will never put small trees into such dry medium. Summers are horror when it comes to watering :)

• Madartej21
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 100

when did you last have to water 1 year 1 month ago #38949

Clicio wrote: You guys are lucky.
The long spring/summer here, almost 6 months, we have to water a lot, most of the time twice a day except for the pines.
Winters are very dry here, almost never rains, sooo...
We have to water every other day.
Watering never stops for us.

Ha... Don´t get me wrong... Where I´m living currently it doesn´t almost never rain. The thing is that this winter in particular has been historically wet, for some reason. Besides, here the summer is almost 6 months long, from beginning of May up to the the middle of October. During that timestamp watering doesn´t stop at all. Those days when I only water once is because I´m not able to do it more than that, but twice is the norm here.

Oh... And in winter, where temps might get considerably low, even if normally rain refuses to fall, my trees´substrate does not dry, hence the weekly "schedule".

Alain
  • alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

when did you last have to water 1 year 1 month ago #38950

The other thing I usually ask is when do you water? That is what time of day. I was told by a Japanese artist that watering should be in the morning. He explained why, the temperature is rising, and sun coming up so the tree can take up the water and will have moisture available. Watering in the evening means that the tree may have wet roots overnight particularly in winter and be unable to take up the water.When one of the students said that he had to go to work the answer was to get up earlier. Obviously if it is hot then twice a day applies. I know another grower who says the opposite, he only waters in the evening.
I always water in the morning first.
Most books do not say what time of day to water.
  • m5eaygeoff
  • m5eaygeoff's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 369

when did you last have to water 1 year 1 month ago #38951

m5eaygeoff wrote: The other thing I usually ask is when do you water? That is what time of day... I always water in the morning first... Most books do not say what time of day to water.

My answer would be I water (along the day) whenever I can... I work in shifts so that Japanese Master advise I wouldn´t be able to fulfill it... Now, if the question would include the verb "prefer" I´d say yes... I´d prefer to water my trees in the morning, so they can have water availability along the day and then if watering twice is required I could also water them late in the afternoon...

Sadly enough, I don´t always get to choose my preference :(

Alain
  • alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

when did you last have to water 1 year 1 month ago #38953

Well I am lucky as I am retired so I can water when I want. I also in the summer wait for it to stop raining before I go out to water. Not as silly as it sounds, if I watered when it was raining I would get wet. Seriously, if it is warm after rain then the trees will dry out, and of course there is the trees with a canopy which will not get water to the roots. I do get some funny looks somtimes though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio
  • m5eaygeoff
  • m5eaygeoff's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 369

when did you last have to water 1 year 1 month ago #38964

During the Winter/Fall from Mid-late october through january hardly at all. My western balcony is fairly windy, and sunny when the sun shines, so I have had to water there more often. With the exception of a few weeks in February and then again in March it was pretty mild here too. The trees that come inside for the winter needed to be watered a bit more often, obviously.
  • tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 95
  • Page: