• Page:

TOPIC: Chestnut leaf size reduction

Chestnut leaf size reduction 1 year 2 weeks ago #39823

Horse chestnuts are not the best subjects for bonsai due to their huge leaf size.
However, the leaf size can be reduced. Also...chestnuts are free :)

I have three of 'm, grown from seed. One of them in a pot - which will not become a good bonsai. The trunk is, relatively speaking, too thin.For a chestnut, you'll need a big fat trunk. The other two are in full soil.

Leaf size reduction is achieved by pruning the (usually pretty fat) buds at the end of the branches, keeping some other buds and letting them grow. This gives ramification (in stead of extension) of the branch and smaller leaves.

The difference:

The leafs compared:

Note that this is not the smallest leaf on the tree and I've not defoliated yet. The leaves will become even smaller - and the leafs on the ones in full ground even bigger.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: alainleon1983, Clicio
  • Auk
  • Auk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1378

Chestnut leaf size reduction 1 year 2 weeks ago #39838

Indeed that is one heck of example of leaves reduction. I have a Ficus Carica myself that, if not properly controlled, it sheds amazingly large leaves as well. I think this technique won´t have the same effect on this species, but it might be interesting giving it a thought. That said, defoliation would be my next choice. It is a nice post to follow up on leaves reduction.

Alain
  • alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 182
  • Page: