Bonsai forum

I'm going to stop

• Bucknell
  • Thanks received: 3

Replied by Bucknell on topic I'm going to stop

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #37975
Well with my up bringing i was always taught if you have nothing good to say then keep quite..
Plus i was always told there is no such thing as a silly question
by Bucknell
The following user(s) said Thank You: kirsty11
The topic has been locked.
  • Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic I'm going to stop

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #37977

Bucknell wrote: Of course they should be willing to learn, for me thats why i joined because I am struggling with an issue...
Its not what you do but the way you do it

Bucknell, sorry to jump into this thread.
When people join in not because they are doing bonsai as a hobby, or to make a living, or any other good reason, but they join because they are only "struggling with an issue" and they use the forum as a faster google, they usually get good answers from experienced bonsai people, not a random response as they would get from google. That's why there is a search tool in the upper right corner of this forum.
The main problems seems to be: They usually do not present themselves, they don't do a search before posting, they usually never say thank you to anyone helping, they leave the forum immediately after solving their localised issues and never come back, they are very rude when they hear that the seedling/sapling/graft/cutting they have in lousy organic soil is not a bonsai, will never survive indoors, will drown of overwatering, and/or will take decades to be transformed in anything worthwhile.
It's tough, but not rude; it's just the truth.
If you love bonsai, and like talking about it, and stay for some weeks in this forum, you are going to realize sooner or later that the same questions being asked here everyday drives everyone crazy.
And the answers have been all given, time and time again.
They just have to search... But they don't.
by Clicio
The following user(s) said Thank You: Auk, Orlando, Mimo, spacewood, crent89, Bucknell, kirsty11
  • spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 113

Replied by spacewood on topic I'm going to stop

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #37979
In the bulls eye.
by spacewood
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, kirsty11
  • Oscar
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thanks received: 291

Replied by Oscar on topic I'm going to stop

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #37983
Hi all,
Lots can and have been said about this. The new members looking for a quick answer instead of for meaningful interaction, ignoring forum etiquette, can be a nuisance. I get that. The thing I don't understand is, why is it so hard to ignore them? Why do we need to reply to them simply stating what they have is not Bonsai - without any meaningful and motivational help as to how to get to the next step? Why not direct your time and effort exclusively to those beginners who show they did try to do their own research and post good questions - as well as to posts from regular posters?

Having said that, at all times, I demand forum members (regardless of platinum rank) to be respectful. That includes minding how they bring across a message. The exact same message can be delivered in a motivational way, as well as in a completely contemptuous way. I hate the latter - it's against everything Bonsai Empire to me stands for - so please don't.
Last Edit:6 years 1 month ago by Oscar
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Oscar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, Bucknell, kirsty11
  • Teye01
  • Thanks received: 13

Replied by Teye01 on topic I'm going to stop

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #37985
Wouldn’t it be an idea to introduce a time set of like 3 days, in which newly registered people can't answer or start a new thread, while still being able to see pictures on the forum? In combination with an automatic personal message or email, or even better: both, explaining the situation that we have had the same questions over and over again and when you use the search option, you will most likely find your answer. In the email some links will be included to sites that states what could be wrong, why your tree isn't a bonsai (like LB's site), what you can do to help them, the tree identifying page etc. The most important part is making them see the search option and not letting them blindly ask the same question again. Cause in my opinon, it isn't that they don't want to use the search option. It is more the problem that they search “my bonsai is dying” or just in general “bonsai” and see this forum as the first result and just start typing a question, panicking because their bonsai is dying. I think that can be solved by a time set and a message, as stated above.
I don't know if it is difficult to programme this into a website, but more forums use it and an automatic email is also always being sent. I don't think an extra message would be a problem.

Auk, you have every right to stop answering the same questions over and over again. Even I quit reading them all and I only have been back for like two weeks. Let alone replying to all of them. Just know that I always loved your comments. Do what feels right and if you need to take a break, take it! You have inspired many to reply in your place.
Last Edit:6 years 1 month ago by Teye01
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Teye01.
  • Bucknell
  • Thanks received: 3

Replied by Bucknell on topic I'm going to stop

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #37987
Personally Clicio I joined because of an issue and yes it came from a random google search and like you say so do many others...
It must be frustrating the same questions get asked over and over but that doesn't give anybody the right to be rude when at the end of the day somebody is just asking for advise....
Like others have said you could chose to ignore or you could maybe offer the a link to the thread where the subject has been discussed before.
by Bucknell
  • Auk
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic I'm going to stop

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #37988

Teye01 wrote: Wouldn’t it be an idea to introduce a time set of like 3 daysthe forum? In combination with an automatic personal message

Personally, I think this idea is brilliant
by Auk
  • Madartej21
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 102

Replied by Madartej21 on topic I'm going to stop

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #37993
Yes, other sites have it. And make it a week. Im pretty sure the questions of the same topic will be reduced greatly
by Madartej21
  • kirsty11
  • Thanks received: 4

Replied by kirsty11 on topic I'm going to stop

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #38008
hi there im just new to the forum and would like to say if that pic you have is your bonsai it's beautiful. and sorry if you feel the way you do about new ones to the forum.
by kirsty11
  • kirsty11
  • Thanks received: 4

Replied by kirsty11 on topic I'm going to stop

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #38009
just a wee note to say sorry you feel the way about new ones to the forum, and also thank you for replying to me,x
by kirsty11