Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Hello, I'm new to this forum and bonsai PLEASE HELP! 4 years 9 months ago #51298

• Pastafazool
  • Pastafazool's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
:unsure: :unsure: Hello, fellow Bonsai adventurists,

My name is Pasta and I've been trying to make some cool Bonsai to decorate my dorm room. I've always been interested in plants for as long as I can remember! my first job was on a farm and now that I'm trying to get into bonsai my interest in these organisms has only increased. The thing plants are capable to endure and adapt to in Bonsai are simply fascinating. I have watched countless Youtube videos and have come to a point where I need very specified help. After my first two attempts with the art of Bonsai failed I am now humbled and ready to think more critically about my actions and stops. Just recently, I bought 2 Blue Rug Juniperus horizontalis that were about to be thrown away at my local Home Depot. After taking away all the dead foliage and pruning them carefully I was left with really pretty cascades. I then decided to start finding pots for my bonsai. I quickly learned that they are NOT cheap! I finally settled on a set of 2 pots that I found on Amazon. Well, they came in today and are much smaller than I expected and they are not returnable. I am wondering if it is even possible to fit these bonsai in these pots or if I should just cut my losses. I watched a bunch of Nigel Saunders video where he cuts off almost all the roots of a plant and somehow resurrects them and keeps them alive but I don't know if I'm capable of that. Here are some pictures I would LOVE to hear your advice and get some feedback.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Pastafazool.

Hello, I'm new to this forum and bonsai PLEASE HELP! 4 years 9 months ago #51299

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

:unsure: :unsure: Hello, fellow Bonsai adventurists,

My name is Pasta and I've been trying to make some cool Bonsai to decorate my dorm room.
I bought 2 Blue Rug Juniperus horizontalis

Junipers belong outdoors and will not survive in a dorm room.

Young plants are not bonsai and they do not belong in bonsai pots yet. You do not create bonsai by growing young smalll plants in small pots.

This is repeated very frequently on this forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pastafazool

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Hello, I'm new to this forum and bonsai PLEASE HELP! 4 years 9 months ago #51301

• Pastafazool
  • Pastafazool's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thank you! When is the best time to put the juniper into a Bonsai pot? HERE ARE SOME PICTURES

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Hello, I'm new to this forum and bonsai PLEASE HELP! 4 years 9 months ago #51308

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Thank you! When is the best time to put the juniper into a Bonsai pot? HERE ARE SOME PICTURES

The best time to put them in a bonsai pot is when they are bonsai. These plants have a long way to go.

Hello, I'm new to this forum and bonsai PLEASE HELP! 4 years 9 months ago #51321

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
Are you sure that is juniper? Looks like thuya but I cant see it to really good on the pics.
But as Auk said: take a few steps back and start from the basics and that is to keep a plant alive. That will certainly not be the case if you place it indoors

• Page: