Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Your new trees in 2017 7 years 2 months ago #29070

• leatherback
  • leatherback's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I am always curious to see projects of others. And with one month of 2017 behind us, I would love to seewhat you are starting the year off with. So here it is.. our very own "new tree in 2017" thread. Please share what you have bought this year (Naturally, if you also start a thread logging the subsequent process, that would be nice!!).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Your new trees in 2017 7 years 2 months ago #29072

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I'll start off. In January I purchased mainly rought starters with a 20-30 year development ahead of them. So nothing for the quick-tree people.

First off.. I have been looking for a red beech, but have not found good material. So I saw a good ofer, and bought 2 red beech trees from a local nursery. Delivered bare-rooted for 7 euro each. I trimmed them from 3 metres to about 30 cm. I expect to do a lower cut in the future, once rooted. Plan now is to spend the next 2 years on low budding & nebari. Then probably back into the ground for trunk development.

There are a lot of japanese maples that are hard to find for a reasonable price prepared for bonsai. So I decided to buy a bunch of those (Arakawa, deshojo, shin-deshojo, Nishiki Gawa (pine bark) and rough bark (Arakawa)). My idea is to grow these out in full ground, and probably use them as stock plants for air layers. Not decided yet. I might first layer the normal barked specimens right at the grafting site. Each plant was 4 euro, I think.

Also in the euro section.. cork bark elm. I have never seen these grown out. So I thought this was a great deal. One I will develop in a pot, and one will be grown in full grown. But the first 2 (?) years I will keep them in a pot, and work on the nebari before planting out.

And finally, cheating a bit, as this was purchased in December for 25E, an olive. This sad looking thing was much larger hidden in the corner of a greenhouse. (Tip: In the middle of winter a lot of dealers are happy to let go of sickly mediteranean plants). It will be trimmed down further once spring arrives, to about 40-50cm tall. Roots are good. So it will be planted in a small traning dish this summer, if recovery in spring is strong.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mimo

Your new trees in 2017 7 years 2 months ago #29088

• Bonsai Bender
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 70
So far this year all I have new is seedlings. Our weird South Carolina weather confused them so they started sprouting in January. I have been moving them in and out of the garage depending on the weather for that day. I planted the following: Dwarf Pomegranate, Japanese Maple, Fuji Apple (just trying it) , Trident Maple, Chinese Elm, and Bald Cypress. Here are photo's of the Dwarf Pom, Chinese Elm, and Bald Cypress. The others haven't sprouted yet.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Firethorn

Your new trees in 2017 7 years 2 months ago #29090

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Nice to see spring arriving!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bonsai Bender

Your new trees in 2017 7 years 2 months ago #29146

• Bonsai Bender
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I got distracted (2yr old was rushing me) and forgot to mention the 5+ oaks (live and water) on my father-in-law's property. The trunks vary from 3cm-8cm in width. This will be my first big collection as I have only collected material < 2cm in trunk width.

Your new trees in 2017 7 years 2 months ago #29148

• Mimo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 927
Spring huh?
After 2 full months of freezing temperatures down to -20°C (cannot remember being so cold since I was a kid) we have got few days above zero finally.
But spring? No sir, -14 due in 2 days. :D
I am so keen on messing around with trees that I enrolled in local styling contest just to wire something.
But hopefully march will bring some warmth into our neck of the woods and I will be able to do some collecting finally.
Except hornbeam we were writing about I am going for a few birches for new penjings and a friend of mine needs a few trees cleared from her garden so there should be some interesting material to work with this spring :)
I will report.

Your new trees in 2017 7 years 2 months ago #29149

• Drakes
  • Thanks received: 12
I've seen a nice crataegus recently, part of an abandoned mixed border. I plan to collect it in the next couple of weeks.

Your new trees in 2017 7 years 2 months ago #29155

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
My new trees... I have none. No more room in my garden :)
I may get some though at the club's next trip to Lagas.

I did realize I do not have many of the species that I should have, like ulmus, zelkova, prunus mume. Maybe I'll try and find some room :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: GingerBonsai

Your new trees in 2017 7 years 1 month ago #30141

• Bonsai Bender
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

My new trees... I have none. No more room in my garden :)
I may get some though at the club's next trip to Lagas.

I did realize I do not have many of the species that I should have, like ulmus, zelkova, prunus mume. Maybe I'll try and find some room :)

Just Send Some To Me (I'll pay shipping, Ha).
That way you can get some more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juno

Your new trees in 2017 7 years 1 month ago #30145

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Just Send Some To Me (I'll pay shipping, Ha).
That way you can get some more.

My collection may be getting a bit too big, but that doesn't mean I have a lot of good trees. The ones I would remove... you wouldn't want to have.