Bonsai forum

My tree is slowy dieing

• Reece27
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

My tree is slowy dieing was created by Reece27

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #38258
Hi all, you have probably heard this many times before but i baught a bonsia tree from ikea around 9 month ago, Since then the tree has been on a downward spiral of health. There are not many leaves left as you can see in the photo attached. All i find on the Internet is contradicting suggesting. Ive tried watering in when the soil looks dry and now im watering it every 2-3 days, Ive tried pruning it but it seemed only to make it worse. Ive also cut a small section on the trunk away at the top as it was suggested do to so as i was told it was dead wood, Please Please help. Thank for your time.
by Reece27

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 170

Replied by tubaboy on topic My tree is slowy dieing

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #38260
Is this picture taken at the time of day where it gets the most light? I am thinking it might either have to do with the soil it is in, or the amount of light. a ficus needs lots of it. Ficus also react to change by dropping their leaves. So if you have moved the tree a lot, it might be that as well.
by tubaboy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reece27

• Reece27
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Reece27 on topic My tree is slowy dieing

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #38261
Hi, thank you for your quick reply. It was morning when i took the picture so it will be getting more light as the day goes on, also i must admit i have moved it around the room
a lot to try to find the best spot for sunlight. As for the soil, the soil is the original soil in came with so unsure of how good it is.
by Reece27

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic My tree is slowy dieing

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #38263
Find the most ligh place possible (outdoors is better), don't move it around, wait and it will hopefully recover,
by Clicio

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #38265

Reece27 wrote: Hi, thank you for your quick reply. It was morning when i took the picture so it will be getting more light as the day goes on, also i must admit i have moved it around the room
a lot to try to find the best spot for sunlight. As for the soil, the soil is the original soil in came with so unsure of how good it is.

The Ikea ficus that I have came in a normal potting soil, which was not very free draining. you can use a chopstick, so similar object to test how damp the soil is a little bit below the surface. as normal potting soil can stay wet longer than bonsai soils. After you get the plant growing and back to health, you may want to consider repotting... but that is quite a ways in the future. I wouldn't do any cutting until you see that the tree has started growing again... and has been for a while.
by tubaboy

• Reece27
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #38268
Ok, now i suppose its the waiting game, :) Thank you for your help. I will see how it goes for a month or so and hopefully i will have good news.
by Reece27

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic My tree is slowy dieing

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #38270

tubaboy wrote: The Ikea ficus that I have came in a normal potting soil, which was not very free draining

I see that a lot - people applying bonsai guidelines to non-bonsai.
A free-draining soil is intended to be used for trees that are outdoors - where they belong. You don't want your indoor plants to free-drain all over your furniture...
For indoor plants like this one, I use regular potting soil - and ofcourse my watering routine for indoor plants is quite different (or absent... mostly. I 'm not too good with indoor plants :) )
Last Edit:6 years 1 month ago by Auk
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Auk.

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #38272

Auk wrote:

tubaboy wrote:
I see that a lot - people applying bonsai guidelines to non-bonsai.
A free-draining soil is intended to be used for trees that are outdoors - where they belong. You don't want your indoor plants to free-drain all over your furniture...) )

let me qualify that statement a bit, more free draining. The Ikea ficus that I have, which is not bonsai, but similar to this plant is doing much better since I put it in a mixture of bonsai soil with a little bit more organic material to retain some of the water. having a saucer under the plant helps to protect the furniture. ;-)

by tubaboy

• spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 113

Replied by spacewood on topic My tree is slowy dieing

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #38294
Its the Ikea pot that is practically useless. Thats not a proper pot for trees. The sooner you get rid of it the better.
by spacewood

• Reece27
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #38299
What kind of pot would be most suitible?
by Reece27