Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

total newbie with rescue— help? 6 years 1 month ago #38362

• pine
  • pine's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
basically, i recently received a juniper from someone who decided that she could no longer care for it (and that she wasn’t fit to be a plant caretaker anyways). she came to me because she knows i have succulent experience and an understanding of how to care for the plants i already had. so now i have a bonsai tree she took mediocre care of at best.

i don’t know the level of maintainence this tree needs, when to water it, etc. from some reading i did earlier it seems like my tree’s root system might be too tightly packed into the pot (a generic one it came in), so does anyone have any advice for repotting? my go-to for succulents is a filtration system in the bottom of the pot instead of a hole. what’s most recommended for bonsai?

so far i think i’ve done a bit better than she was since it hasn’t lost any more leaves— it was dropping them quickly when she passed it over.

i’ll post pictures of this tree tomorrow when i have decent lighting and the opportunity to post them. until then, generalized advice helps.

thank you in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

total newbie with rescue— help? 6 years 1 month ago #38363

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
Welcome. First you must not keep this plant inside. Next there must be holes in the pot, usually depending on the size of the pot several. If it has been losing needles then it has not been treated correctly. You will find a species guides here. Watering is when needed not to a schedule. The fact that it might be root bound does not mean that you should re pot. Get it back to health first. I would also suggest you find a club where you can get advice, and help if it does need re potting or pruning and other work that will be needed in time.

total newbie with rescue— help? 6 years 1 month ago #38369

• pine
i can’t figure out how to edit, so here are some photos i just took. i can provide more of specific things on request.

i think if they’re too small you can copy them into another window. i’m sorry if that’s the case.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by pine.

total newbie with rescue— help? 6 years 1 month ago #38371

• pine
@m5eaygeoff—

i currently can’t keep this plant outside, i live in a college dorm situation and have no access to a secure outside space where someone else wouldn’t mess with it. i almost always keep my window open, which is where it currently sits. i have no clue where to find a club, i’m from a larger city and visit my family from time to time but i currently live in a smaller college town.

total newbie with rescue— help? 6 years 1 month ago #38375

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
Does not matter anymore. This young cutting is practically dead and will not recover.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

total newbie with rescue— help? 6 years 1 month ago #38376

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
Yes it is dead,

• Page: