Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Bunch of questions from Newbie 6 years 1 week ago #38527

• doironr13
  • doironr13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi all. Newbie here with several questions.

I have had a fukien tea for about 3 weeks. I'm now learning that was probably not the best choice for a beginner but ...

I've had a problem with mealybugs. I am using the 1% soap/vegetable oil spray and it seems to be working, but have only been doing it for 4 days, so maybe too soon to tell.

The soil doesn't seem to drain well and seems to stay wet too long so I want to re-pot. So the first question I have is should I do that now or wait until the mealybug problem is resolved?

Second question is around soil. Did a bunch of research and have decided to go with 50% Akadama, 25% pumice, 25% lave rocks. So I bought the ingredients but the pumice has me confused. I attached a pic of the label on the bag. Large label says Akadama, small label says pumice. The stuff doesn't float in water and it is easily crushed with fingers. It feels like clay. Is this really pumice?

Last question I have is the bark on the tree is missing in one section. I also attached a close up of that and the tree as a whole.

I live in the Northeast USA and although it's technically spring, it's still snowing.

Any comments or suggestions?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bunch of questions from Newbie 6 years 1 week ago #38529

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
First, get rid of the mealybugs; then water properly; after the Spring really settles, IF the three is healthy, then repot.
Akadama in the bag looks like real Akadama. The small label must be wrong.
Akadama, pumice and lava (APL) are a good mix choice.
Your tree though is not a bonsai yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: doironr13

Bunch of questions from Newbie 6 years 6 days ago #38546

• doironr13
Thanks Clicio. I suspected the pumice. I will get some from a different source and wait per your suggestion to re-pot?

What about the missing bark? Is that a concern or just the nature of this tree? My concern there is some of the mealybugs seemed to be underneath the bark or at least in the cracks. I don't see anymore since I've been spraying.

Bunch of questions from Newbie 6 years 6 days ago #38548

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
Don't worry about the bark, it seems OK.

Bunch of questions from Newbie 6 years 6 days ago #38563

• doironr13
Thanks again!

Bunch of questions from Newbie 6 years 6 days ago #38586

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185

Second question is around soil. Did a bunch of research and have decided to go with 50% Akadama, 25% pumice, 25% lave rocks. So I bought the ingredients but the pumice has me confused.

Any comments or suggestions?

The soil question is the never ending discussion among bonsai lovers, fans, enthusiasts and I´ll even dare to say Masters. A proportionated mix that might satisfy all tastes (in agreement with the tree species, weather of the zone you are living in, etc.) has not been discovered yet (probably never will either). However, there are a few things that a substrate must meet in order to be considered a suitable soil for our trees. Those things or parameters you can find them here:

www.bonsaiempire.com/basics/bonsai-care/advanced/bonsai-soil
adamaskwhy.com/2018/01/30/akadama-the-ideal-bonsai-soil/

Hope it helps.

Alain

• Page: