Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Is my juniper on the way out? 5 years 11 months ago #39611

• Reoyon
  • Reoyon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello first time poster. I recently got a bonsai about a month ago and I love it. When I originally got it shipped in and unboxed it was very green and the foliage was lush. The thing I've noticed over the past month is the foliage is slowly Browning slightly and getting brittle in certain areas.

Originally for the first week per instructions, I kept it inside and misted the foliage regularly and checked the soil wetness for watering. After time I realized it was best to put it into good sunlight and yet over the past weeks I've seen that the Browning hasn't progressed, but it hasn't improved to a lush green either. Ive made sure to water once or so every two days when the soil feels wet, but I worry it may be over-watering. Not mention some shoots are brittle and snap off to the touch.

If it's possible can I save it? I'm really in love with the look and feel and I desperately want it to survive, being my first bonsai and all (though I'm told the road to bonsai is paved with dead trees). I'll post a few before a current picks, any and all advice is welcome.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is my juniper on the way out? 5 years 11 months ago #39612

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Originally for the first week per instructions, I kept it inside

Junipers belong outdoors. The instruction is wrong.

I'm really in love with the look and feel

I prefer bonsai, but hey, to each their own.
These plants aren't meant to last. It's dying, which is to be expected.

You could try and do an emergency repot, put it in proper soil and take it outside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reoyon

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Is my juniper on the way out? 5 years 11 months ago #39614

• Reoyon
I appreciate the input. It's really unfortunate for sure. The instructions that came in claimed that I should keep it inside in a low lit room to acclimate it prior to moving it outdoors. Obviously that probably wasn't able good look, but hopefully it's my first of many. I'll do my best to repot it and see if that improves it's overall health. If not I have another azelea to put my time into next.

Once again thank you for the opinion.

Is my juniper on the way out? 5 years 11 months ago #39617

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Does this pot have a hole in it so the excess water can flush out? If not, do not repot back into this pot. Actually, consider a slightly larger pot. Do not spend a lot of work on the roots. Your plant is weak, and should be handled as little as possible
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reoyon

Is my juniper on the way out? 5 years 11 months ago #39623

• Reoyon
Yes, the pot actually has two holes to flush excess water out. I'd been keeping in it on top of a moisture catching tray, which I have since removed because I believe it may have contributed to the over-watering theory. I can take it out and repot it back into the same pot. Would you happen to have a suggestion of any type of soil that would possibly assist in nourishing it back to health? If I need to leave it alone as much as possible (aside from watering when necessary and good sunlight) should I avoid fertilizers until it's better?

Thanks for the correspondence, it really helps having some more experienced suggestions.

Is my juniper on the way out? 5 years 11 months ago #39630

• jin21
  • Thanks received: 1
I know this isn't aiding in your question, but the pot it's in is adorable, I love the fisherman!

Is my juniper on the way out? 5 years 11 months ago #39632

• Reoyon
Thank you :) I got it from Brussel's Bonsai. They have a pretty good selection of Bonsai to chose from and some great pots.

Is my juniper on the way out? 5 years 10 months ago #39644

• spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 113

I know this isn't aiding in your question, but the pot it's in is adorable, I love the fisherman!

Sorry, I think quite the opposite. These pots are so kitsch and so off Bonsai. Its my opinion, no offense is meant, sorry.

Is my juniper on the way out? 5 years 10 months ago #39648

• Reoyon
No worries, I intend to repot in a few years (pending it's survival) in a more appropriate pot with more of a diorama feel once I properly learn how to nurse them properly. Though I do like the current pot regardless. Any input on my current situation aside from pot preference? Any suggestions are welcome.

Is my juniper on the way out? 5 years 10 months ago #39650

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Thank you :) I got it from Brussel's Bonsai. They have a pretty good selection of Bonsai to chose from and some great pots.

Hm. I disagree. They sell seriously overprized sub-standard plants and standard pots, that too are overprized.

• Page: