Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

What to do with potentially dead Ficus Ginseng branches 5 years 8 months ago #42316

• Char_sw
  • Char_sw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
My Ficus Ginseng got quite stressed when I brought her home. This combined with me not putting her in the best spot caused all her leaves to shed.
I moved her to a spot that a few of my other plants enjoy, and around 3 months later she started growing new leaves in a different area.
All the branches of the original leaves appear to be dead. (Pics included) they are very brittle. Should I remove them/trim them, or leave them in the vain hope they can be saved?

imgur.com/a/Grmlqx7

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What to do with potentially dead Ficus Ginseng branches 5 years 8 months ago #42317

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
If you upload some pictures to the forum we can see what you are talking about. Dead branches can be removed. They will not start living again. But not all branches without leaves are dead..

What to do with potentially dead Ficus Ginseng branches 5 years 8 months ago #42318

• Char_sw
  • Char_sw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thanks - I put in an Imgur link, as it wouldn’t allow me to upload photos for some reason

Last edit: Post by Char_sw.

What to do with potentially dead Ficus Ginseng branches 5 years 8 months ago #42319

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

But not all branches without leaves are dead..

True.
We didn't see any pictures, but I would wait before cutting them off.

What to do with potentially dead Ficus Ginseng branches 5 years 8 months ago #42324

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
I clicked that link. What has been seen, cannot be unseen...

Last edit: Post by Auk.

What to do with potentially dead Ficus Ginseng branches 5 years 8 months ago #42325

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

Thanks - I put in an Imgur link, as it wouldn’t allow me to upload photos for some reason

You have to make sure they are not too big, as specified in the upload section:

Allowed file extensions : jpg, jpeg, gif, png, txt, rtf, pdf, zip, tar.gz, tgz, tar.bz2

Maximum File Size : 2 MB Maximum Image File Size : 1 MB

What to do with potentially dead Ficus Ginseng branches 5 years 8 months ago #42333

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

You have to make sure they are not too big, as specified in the upload section:

Allowed file extensions : jpg, jpeg, gif, png, txt, rtf, pdf, zip, tar.gz, tgz, tar.bz2

Maximum File Size : 2 MB Maximum Image File Size : 1 MB

I'd rather he didn't.... ah well. Too late.

What to do with potentially dead Ficus Ginseng branches 5 years 8 months ago #42335

• cwillette1994
  • Thanks received: 3
Upon looking at the pictures it looks like the branches are dead. It doesn’t hurt to leave them on until the end of growIng season and see if anything sprouts from them. If nothing does, cut them back and it will only add a little character to your tree in the future if styles correctly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Char_sw

What to do with potentially dead Ficus Ginseng branches 5 years 8 months ago #42345

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236
Looks like the microcarpa/retusa/other Ficus, what was grafted in the “rootstock” is dead and the plant (?) which used as rootstock still living.

What to do with potentially dead Ficus Ginseng branches 5 years 8 months ago #42359

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Upon looking at the pictures it looks like the branches are dead. It doesn’t hurt to leave them on until the end of growIng season and see if anything sprouts from them. If nothing does, cut them back and it will only add a little character to your tree in the future if styles correctly.

This will never be a bonsai.