Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

I’m new to this please help 5 years 7 months ago #43302

• captain_sqine
  • captain_sqine's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi I just received a bonsai tree as a gift and I’m super excited but also don’t want to kill it. I was told they like to be outside so I put mine out for a few days and then I realized I should not have let it in the sun for that long. I live in the south so it’s pretty hot and I feel like it’s too hot. Anyways it looked like it was starting to dry out so I brought it back inside. I’m watering it half a cup every day because the guy that my tree was bought from said to and he has kept it alive for 8 years so why not listen to him? So now I have it inside by a window with lots of sunshine and I cracked the window so it could get fresh air and “experience the season” because I was also told they like that. If I am doing something wrong or if anyone has any helpful tips that’d be great. Also I am attaching a picture of my tree so if anyone could please tell me if it’s fine or dying. Thanks for taking the time to read this and help me out!!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I’m new to this please help 5 years 7 months ago #43303

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Hi I just received a bonsai tree as a gift and I’m super excited but also don’t want to kill it.!!

It should be outside.
It should get more watering than half a cup.
It looks like three years, not 8.
Put it in the dappled morning sun, water properly, and welcome!

Last edit: Post by Clicio.

I’m new to this please help 5 years 7 months ago #43331

• bmrscreamr
  • Thanks received: 2
Congratulations on your tree. I am no expert but I have done a bit of studying and observing. Recently I visited a bonsai nursery and noted that while most of the trees were outside, most were also under the shade of a large tree. This seemed to help filter the amount of sunlight the smaller, more delicate trees were exposed to. I have been giving thought to how I can create a natural filter for my tiny trees. I am currently centering my new hobby on my patio which gets full sun for about 6-8 hours a day. Although my delonix regia seedlings are flourishing, I'm concerned for other types of trees. There are no trees close to my patio so I'm going to have to be creative.

I’m new to this please help 5 years 7 months ago #43333

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

There are no trees close to my patio so I'm going to have to be creative.

There is a special horticultural shade (it comes in rolls) in various percentages of strenght .

• Page: