Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Fear my gifted Bonsai may be doomed, but I'm trying. 4 years 8 months ago #52281

• EmmaWill
  • EmmaWill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Hi all lovely people. I submit for your knowledge and consideration my little tree and its struggle. I'm trying to save it but I'm starting from -0 and recovering from a major head injury, so we both need some help.

I was given this tree as a gift, it was bought at a local store called plant (plantshop.ca/ not a department store, but not a bonsai-specific nursery) in Calgary, Alberta Canada (basically a dessert, dry and cold overall, although it's been alternately rainy and quite hot the last few weeks).

It was labelled as Japanese Juniper and said to come to Bonsai Empire to do research.

I couldn't use the internet at the time (still shouldn't be, but I want this tree to live), so I asked for research help, and from what was imparted, I watered and misted and left the tree in a window inside (I know, now, how wrong that is) for three days while I was out of town. When I got back, it seemed dry, but still green.

I did some more research and the more I did, the more water it seemed watering involved, even for the "don't over water" Juniper. I check the tree 2-3 times per day, mist each time, and water when the soil seems somewhat dry a bit below the surface. It's in a spot that gets mostly dappled sun and shade all day, and is sheltered from heavy rain. Most places seem to agree on a "sandy" volcanic mix soil, which this doesn't seem to be, although I'm very much not an experienced soil evaluator.

I'm beginning to suspect that either the tree wasn't properly grown/cared for/set up and was doomed from the beginning, or that my first mistake having it inside for a few days was too much to recover from. However, if either of those things are wrong, I'm fully willing to change any part of the care; schedule, pot, placement, soil, etc., to give her a chance.

This picture is a day or two after I got it:

Here's when it had been in the window a few days:

And this one I just went out and took.

Thank you so much for any advice or insight you're willing to share.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by EmmaWill.

Fear my gifted Bonsai may be doomed, but I'm trying. 4 years 8 months ago #52285

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
It was doomed long ago. Your young rooted cutting never is dead.

(People who wonder why I say that: The first image shows the right, vibrant green colour. The next picture shows dull, dry needles and faded colours. The branches probably are brittle and will come off easily. I may be wrong, it could be the lighting, but I doubt it).

Having it indoors for a few days will not have killed it. You did give it far too much water.

It was labelled as Japanese Juniper and said to come to Bonsai Empire to do research.

Seriously? Was it on the label to come to Bonsai Empire? That's interesting, as... well... on this forum people will tell you that's not a bonsai.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buffy Fan

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Fear my gifted Bonsai may be doomed, but I'm trying. 4 years 8 months ago #52307

• EmmaWill
  • EmmaWill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Thank you very much for the feedback, Auk.

Can you please clarify, by "Your young rooted cutting never is dead.", do you mean it was cut off a larger tree rather than cultivated as a bonsai, and was dead or nearly dead when I got it?

Also, just so I might do well if I try to care for bonsai for real in the future, did I really water it too much? It's been 15 days since the first picture, and 11 since it was put outside after the second picture. For the first 10 days it's been with me, it never recieved more than 2oz or so in a day, misting and watering combined. Then in the last four days before my post, I upped it to between 3-5oz, depending on how the soil felt and looked at the time, and it was still less than the people in the instructional videos (including those on this site) seemed to be doing with the big fine-head watering cans. I'm not saying this to argue with you, I know of course the site info isn't responding to my particular story and tree, I truly appreciate your insight (and that of anyone else more experienced than I who may weigh in), and just want to make sure I understand.

Thank you so very much again,

-Emma

Fear my gifted Bonsai may be doomed, but I'm trying. 4 years 8 months ago #52308

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Thank you very much for the feedback, Auk.

Can you please clarify, by "Your young rooted cutting never is dead.", do you mean it was cut off a larger tree rather than cultivated as a bonsai, and was dead or nearly dead when I got it?

Oops. That should be "your young rooted cutting is dead".
Yes, it was probably cut off from a larger tree. That is not an uncommon technique to propagate plants and to get material for bonsai.
Your plant however is just that - a young, rooted cutting without any bonsai qualities.

On the first images, the plant looks healthy. It's too underdeveloped to be in a bonsai pot though. Can't tell if that was the cause though.

Fear my gifted Bonsai may be doomed, but I'm trying. 4 years 8 months ago #52309

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
What you show in the first pictures is aperfectly healthy juniper. Not a bonsai, but a young recently rooted cutting.

Not sure what happened. IF you let it inside for 3 days without water, and you have some kind of airconditioner running, it may have affected the roots. Or, if it was in a greenhouse before you got it, and then you placed it outside, the wind may have dried it out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EmmaWill

Fear my gifted Bonsai may be doomed, but I'm trying. 4 years 8 months ago #52310

• Bauley
  • Thanks received: 0
I'm more of a deciduous tree kind of a person, just a quick warning. Generally, these trees are grown as quickly as possible, and as many as possible. May not be we'll cared for either. Now maybe some useful advice as I can understand why you want to care for the juniper. I get attached too.

You can try to gently scratch the bark away and see it's still green, if it is the tree is still alive. If it's alive, you can try repotting it in a simple small flower pot with live sphagnum moss. Pot should be a bit bigger than what it has. If you don't have an extra pot on hand, what it's in can work. Check for tiny roots while doing this as they feed the tree. The moss is easy to get online, possibly still in garden stores. It is used to help get tree roots grow and I'm currently using to bring my almost dead orchid back, the moss does retain moisture well and should help. Please keep us informed.
You might also look into some fertilizer. I honestly added coffee grounds, powered eggshells, and crushed baked banana peels to my cherry blossom. Always best to see what the tree needs.

Fear my gifted Bonsai may be doomed, but I'm trying. 4 years 8 months ago #52311

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

You can try to gently scratch the bark away and see it's still green, if it is the tree is still alive.

Nope. On Junipers, you won't find it. It is indistinguishable. A better indication is the foliage and/or trunk. If a branch has no green lush foliage, it's dead. This juniper is dead.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Fear my gifted Bonsai may be doomed, but I'm trying. 4 years 8 months ago #52312

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

You can try to gently scratch the bark away and see it's still green, if it is the tree is still alive.

Nope. On Junipers, you won't find it. It is indistinguishable.

Actually, this is pretty bad advise. Someone might try it, not find that green layer, and come to the concusion the juniper is dead while it's not...

Fear my gifted Bonsai may be doomed, but I'm trying. 4 years 7 months ago #52315

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

You can try to gently scratch the bark away and see it's still green, if it is the tree is still alive. If it's alive, you can try repotting it in a simple small flower pot with live sphagnum moss. Pot should be a bit bigger than what it has. If you don't have an extra pot on hand, what it's in can work. Check for tiny roots while doing this as they feed the tree. The moss is easy to get online, possibly still in garden stores. It is used to help get tree roots grow and I'm currently using to bring my almost dead orchid back, the moss does retain moisture well and should help. Please keep us informed.
You might also look into some fertilizer. I honestly added coffee grounds, powered eggshells, and crushed baked banana peels to my cherry blossom. Always best to see what the tree needs.

I am sure you are joking, but.. You are joking right?

Fear my gifted Bonsai may be doomed, but I'm trying. 4 years 7 months ago #52316

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1351
I am suppriced how many topics in this forum People tell the novices that they dont have a bonsai. Well, it is technically True. It is at best a "potensai", a Base material for bonsai or a bonsai in training. And that is really how most hobbyists creates their bonsais beginner as well as advanced. For a beginner, bying a finished bonsai is not really an option. Financially or knowledge and experience wice.

How big is generally forum members ratio of bonsai vs Base materials? I have 17 trees and only one that is close to a finished bonsai (if it is possible to even call a bonsai finished, after all it is allways a work in progress).

This tree as any other Base material had potential to be a beautiful bonsai. But it is important to have realistic expectations. To grow a beautiful show tree takes several years and you dont suceed with all of Them. The important thing is to enjoy the process, not rush for results.

My advice is: if you have a garden. Just Take it out of the pot and plant it in the ground. A shade cloth can be beneficial at this point. If it survive, just forget it for a couple of years. Meanwhile get a couple of other trees, study and learn more about the care.

And The best advice i have ever heard: fall in love with nature and everything will fall into place in time. That is The best way to develop bonsai skills.

Br
Magnus