Bonsai forum

My really old neighbour wants to sell his trees

• Izzyinsweden
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

My really old neighbour wants to sell his trees was created by Izzyinsweden

Posted 4 years 3 weeks ago #57312
So im kind of new to outdoor bonsai, and on top of that i just moved to cold land of sweden (southern part) but still cold. And my neighbour is just too old to care for his trees and just wants to get rid of them. One of them is a beech and looks kind of good and another pine i think, he says theyre like 15-20 years old. Their price is good if thats true (around 300$) so I just want some opinions also the beech is dormant since it isnt an evergreen and i dont know how it looks with leaves. Dont shy away let me know what you think.
Much appreciated
Izzy
by Izzyinsweden

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic My really old neighbour wants to sell his trees

Posted 4 years 3 weeks ago #57314

Izzyinsweden wrote: i think, he says theyre like 15-20 years old. Their price is good if thats true (around 300$)

Why does that make the price good? My first bonsai, that's still alive, is 25 years old. It's NOT worth 300,00.
On the other hand, you can have trees that are younger, and that are worth the money.

It all depends on how developed they are. So, can't tell a thing without a picture.

Also, all bonsai are outdoor bonsai.
by Auk

• Izzyinsweden
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Izzyinsweden on topic My really old neighbour wants to sell his trees

Posted 4 years 3 weeks ago #57316
Well you probably know way more than i do but i want to clarify that they are actually two trees and for some reason i can upload any pictures for some reason . Im gonna try this last time hopefully it works and ill upload the orher tree in another reply.
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
by Izzyinsweden

This message has an attachment image.

• Izzyinsweden
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Izzyinsweden on topic My really old neighbour wants to sell his trees

Posted 4 years 3 weeks ago #57317
It worked!!! Hurraay haha
Also in swedish currency they are worth way more than that but since my income is in dollars and the swedish krone basically died this week i get a very good exchange rate. Whoopsie
by Izzyinsweden

This message has an attachment image.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 4 years 3 weeks ago #57319
Well... what can I say. If you like them, if you can afford them and as for you,t he price is right, I would not hesitate. The second tree is a juniper, not a pine.

By the way, is that 300 each, or 300 per tree?
Last Edit:4 years 3 weeks ago by Auk
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by Auk.

• Izzyinsweden
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 4 years 3 weeks ago #57320
Ah ever better, from what i read junipers are better or at least easier. Its 300 for both, i was just asking a bonsai expert here and he said the beech alone he would be for 300, so this basically is quite the catch (in Sweden). But I certainly need to work a lot on it, i think in two or three years it can look nice (the beech) and im thinking of repotting it at a different angle too.
by Izzyinsweden

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 4 years 3 weeks ago #57323

Izzyinsweden wrote: i was just asking a bonsai expert here and he said the beech alone he would be for 300

I don't think I would pay 300 for the beech. I would buy both for that price. Good buy.
by Auk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Izzyinsweden

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic My really old neighbour wants to sell his trees

Posted 4 years 3 weeks ago #57333
Nice to see you helping out the people around you :)

TO be honest< I am not sure I would be interested in buying those trees. Of course, I have a few more trees than you and as such I will be more critical towards what I buy..

The beech: The trunk is taperless and straight for the first half. Then it has some strong bends and stronger taper. For me, this is not harmonious. Add to that that the canopy is build from multiple branches at the same height and offly shaped / ramified: I would probably decide to cut most branches to stumps and rebuild the whole tree. As such, effectively one would buy this for the trunk, which is not completely nice: I can get better trunks for less money.

The juniper.. I cannot tell which species it is, nor what is happening to the trunk. I think that in order to create something out of this, you would have to remove a substantial part of the foliage (Probably all but one branch) and make a tree with the one leftover branch. As this is effectively a gardenshrub species (Not a desired japanese dense-foliage variety) I am not sure I see anything special about this plant.

300E is a lot of money, but I also realize that it may be hard to get options for trees. If you want the person to get rid of the trees and can afford it, by all means go for it. It is not a rip-off. But be aware of the draw-back.

And yes.. I also have trees in my garden that people said will never amount to anything. With vision, time and dedication one can make trees out of lots of raw stack. Just make sure that the price you pay fits the tree you get.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: Izzyinsweden

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic My really old neighbour wants to sell his trees

Posted 4 years 3 weeks ago #57336
Just as inspiration; Not a 300E tree (Actually, a freebee) but to show that even with unlucky material you can do something. These pictures are a few hours apart.
by leatherback

This message has attachments images.

• Izzyinsweden
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 4 years 3 weeks ago #57349
I agree with you, since im just a beginner i want a trees that challenge me. Also Sweden doesn't have any bonsai nurseries either and i domt speak the language so yamadoori can be super difficult for me. Thanks for the good advice
by Izzyinsweden