Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Cat-safe plants that can be made into Bonsai trees? 4 years 3 weeks ago #57329

• Amreiz
  • Amreiz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I have been looking for a while now on any information on types of bonsai trees that would be safe for cats. My cat WILL try to eat any plants I have in the house. She likes to nibble on the ends of the leaves and turns into a raccoon when she is determined enough. I am also a paranoid pet-parent and would prefer to not put my kitty at risk if I can help it.

Well my searching has turned up ZERO results, so I drew my attention to an out-of-the box perspective. If there were any plants that are non-toxic to cats that can be maintained to be like a bonsai tree. Here is what I found:

Four (yes fellow cat-parents, you read that right!) types of bushes are considered cat-safe. I have looked up if they can be turned into bonsai's and so far I have seen photos of people attempting this successfully. They are: Canada Hemlock, Weeping Sargent Hemlock, Japanese Pittosporum, and Blackjack Pine.

I would love it if someone can confirm to me that these four plants can be maintained to resemble bonsai trees. Thank you kindly!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cat-safe plants that can be made into Bonsai trees? 4 years 3 weeks ago #57334

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Probably. But none of these will survive inside your house (Which in itself is fine: Growing bonsai indoors is a frustrating path, and much harder to do than outside).

I think you would solve all your problems by not attempting to grow bonsai inside Grow species hardy for your climate, outside: Wide selection of species, and no risk for your cat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, BofhSkull

Cat-safe plants that can be made into Bonsai trees? 4 years 2 weeks ago #57508

• burton14e7
  • Thanks received: 0
We have a bonsai catnip plant, bonsai because the cats keep pruning it. :lol:

Cat-safe plants that can be made into Bonsai trees? 4 years 2 weeks ago #57509

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352

We have a bonsai catnip plant, bonsai because the cats keep pruning it. :lol:

If you share a photo it is highly likelly that this comunity will not concider it to be a bonsai. However, I would like to see it anyway.

• Page: