Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Did I kill my Ming Aralia? 3 years 11 months ago #57447

• AgonzalesCA
  • AgonzalesCA's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello!

First time Bonsai-er! I got this lovely Ming Aralia from my wife about 6 months ago as a birthday present. After a little leaf loss from it being too cold, it has done well at the apartment (Bay Area, California). About a month to month and a half ago I decided to prune and wire it to achieve a "Kabudachi" style. Pruning a bit more than 30% (from what I know is recommended for horticulture purposes), I thought it was ok because of the drastic pruning I saw in many Bonsai videos.

Starting about 4-6 days ago, it started rapidly wilting. At first it was some of the smaller and more drastically wired branches. But now it's spreading to the main shoots! I do not know what to do! It has been watered well and I added a little fertilizer initially to help with the pruning shock. At this point, I don't care about shape or style. i just want the plant to live!

P.S. I attached some stock photos of other Ming Aralia's to show what the plant looked like before pruning.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Did I kill my Ming Aralia? 3 years 11 months ago #57451

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
Not sure if it's dead yet, but you surely tortured it.

All you can now is leave it alone, give it proper care and wait.
Don't fertilize. Look up care guidelines. Water it properly.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Did I kill my Ming Aralia? 3 years 11 months ago #57452

• AgonzalesCA
  • AgonzalesCA's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thanks for the heads up on the fertilizer @Auk! I usually am a great green thumb and loving gardener, but I have never really done ornamental work! Almost exclusively horticultural/agricultural.

It seems my first post didn't list all of the photos I uploaded. So I also want to make sure this overall photo made the cut too.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Page: