Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Help- Beginner's Bonsai in trouble. 12 years 7 months ago #1455

• malaqias
  • malaqias's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello everyone. Almost a month ago, I got a Bonsai from a local shop. The tree was looking good and healthy (although not very well trained and shaped).
I read some articles in the website, and from what i could figure, the tree is a Sageretia Theezans (bird plum), but it can also be a Ligustrum (privet), i'm not sure.
I live in Portugal and the weather is fairly warm in here.

I don't have a safe place outside to leave the tree (only a small ledge of a window, and i don't want anyone being hit on the head by a bonsai), so i've been keeping it indoor and placing it on that same ledge with direct sunlight for about 4 hours every day. I've been watering it frequently, whenever the soil seems to be drying up. but i have not used any fertilizer yet.

The thing is, for the last 3 days, the tree is looking rather, bad... The leafs seem to be pointing down, all of them! they used to be srong and all, and now they're just hanging there (not falling. at least not yet). Also the new and small leaves are all curled up around the edges and 2 or 3 leaves have a black spot on them.

Anyone has an idea what could this be and what can i do?
Can someone help me be certain of the species of the tree? other than the leaves, is there anything else that is different between those 2 species?(i'll try to get a picture in here to help)

Best regards.

P.S.-To be fair the sun has not come out for the last couple of days. its been Cloudy with a little rain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Help- Beginner's Bonsai in trouble. 12 years 7 months ago #1456

• malaqias
here's a picture of the tree.

you can see how all the leaves seem to be falling(or pointing down).
if someone can tell what kind of tree it is, it would be appreciated.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Help- Beginner's Bonsai in trouble. 12 years 7 months ago #1457

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hello Malaqias,

Welcome to the forum. So glad you could join us!

I don't think this is the Sagaretia Theezans (Bird Plum)as I have cuttings and the leaves are quite small and delicate with a serrated (or toothed) edge around the outside of the leaf. I have also seen the mother tree these cuttinigs came from and they remain very small and delicate.

If you could post some clear, close-up photos of the leaves, it would be very helpful. Also if you could tell us how tall your tree is, the length of the leaves and a description of the leaves such as, are the leaves serrated or smooth edged; is the leaf surface dull or glossy; and anything else you might notice about them would be helpful in identifying your tree. :)

Re: Help- Beginner's Bonsai in trouble. 12 years 7 months ago #1458

• malaqias
Hey. thanks for the reply!
i can't get good enough pictures at the moment because its quite dark here and my bad camera cant get a clear picture. but i'll get them up tomorrow.

The tree is roughly 13 cm tall (5.1 in) and the biggest leaves are about 2,5 cm (1 in) long. the leaves have smooth edges and, if i remember well, were a little glossy, altho now they look quite dull. don't know if it will help, but the tree had been growing like crazy the past 3 weeks. when i bought it, it looked like it had been pruned recently and now there's branches growing everywhere along with new leaves. Can't think of anything else that could help.

i've just noticed that the pot seems to have more roots soil itself. the roots seem to be everywhere. is this healthy? could this be the source of the problem?

Thanks for the help

Last edit: Post by malaqias.

Re: Help- Beginner's Bonsai in trouble. 12 years 7 months ago #1460

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
Hey there.
I think this tree needs some help. First of all, it needs to be re-potted.
Is there any way you can post a picture of the spots on this tree? I think it might be a soil fungus.
I have a privet and the leaves are similar...but I'm not sure. a close up of the leaves will help.
When you re-pot it, get as much of the old soil out as you can without disturbing the roots too much put it in a bigger pot. Replace it with fresh bonsai soil.
Water it only when a chopstick comes out of the soil dry. Leave it poked in for about 10 minutes.

Re: Help- Beginner's Bonsai in trouble. 12 years 7 months ago #1462

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I think this is a Ficus (Fig) due to the texture and nature of the trunk, the stong nebari (root mound) and the leaf shape. Also due to it's small size yet, maturity of growth, I'd say it may very well be the "Ficus (too little) Benjamina".

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Re: Help- Beginner's Bonsai in trouble. 12 years 7 months ago #1463

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
Hey Leslie :)
The leaves of a ficus are glossier I think. These leaves look "softer" if that makes any sense.

Re: Help- Beginner's Bonsai in trouble. 12 years 7 months ago #1467

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Lance,

Although your observations are correct from Malaqias' photo, if you go back and read her third post you will see that Malaqias described the healthy leaves as being a little glossy yet, now they are quite dull.

Also the leaf surface varies according to the variety of Ficus. My Ficus (too little) Benjamina's leaves are a deep, rich green with a semi-glossy surface whereas the Ficus Retusa has a paler green leaf with a nearly flat, opaque surface; see Ficus Retusa in the Main Menu under "Care" then "Suitable Tree Species"; also see photos of Youri's posted topic "Ficus Retusa" under the forum's "Progessions" category. :)

Re: Help- Beginner's Bonsai in trouble. 12 years 7 months ago #1470

• malaqias
Just a failed version of the post bellow.

can some moderator delete this?
cheers!

Last edit: Post by malaqias.

Re: Help- Beginner's Bonsai in trouble. 12 years 7 months ago #1471

• malaqias
Hi guys! thanks for all the replies.

i'm getting a new pot and some soil today, and i'll repot the tree ASAP. i'll keep you posted on that! :)

about the species, i've been looking up some stuff last night and i'm aiming for privet, altho it could also be ficus retusa, i just don't have the experience and they all look a like to me :P

here's a couple of new pictures that may help to identify the species and the problem with the tree(in some pictures you can see the dark spots that i mentioned and the damaged/curled leaves)

Thanks!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.