Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Beginner 3 years 10 months ago #59934

• Jcheng
  • Jcheng's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hey guys, I recently just became very interested in the art of bonsai and I am very excited to start my own. I would like to start out with a couple but I am having trouble choosing on a tree. I understand that Chinese art of Penjing started with people making dioramas of species to remind them of home, so I decided to try and getting some cuttings of a beautiful maple tree in my yard to root. I hope one of these cutting will root, although I had no rooting hormones. In addition I am looking to acquire a young bonsai I can grow indoors and outdoors in Long Island NY temperatures. Any one have any recommendations?
As an amateur I am also curious as to where to purchase affordable tools and wire.

Sincerely a prospective bonsai artist

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Beginner 3 years 10 months ago #59935

• crent89
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 230
Penjing is something that takes alot of skill. as a beginner i suggest first learning how to even keep a tree alive. if you decided to take cuttings then you wont be creating a penjing for atleast 5 years maybe more. if you are looking for something sooner maybe purchase something a little more developed. i never use rooting hormones and have still had success. even with hormone its not guaranteed. Trees are not grown indoors all trees are outdoors so if you are trying to grow something indoors its very hard to achieve and most trees wont last more that a few years and in those few years the trees never really thrive. if you have no other choice tropical trees would be your best bet. if you do note know what trees to start with i suggest looking for trees native to your area. since they already thrive in your climate it makes things much easier.

Beginner 3 years 10 months ago #59937

• Jcheng
  • Jcheng's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thanks so much for your insight, I'm going to college soon and would be unable to maintain an outdoor plant when I go, so I will try my best to make whatever plant I choose thrive.

Beginner 3 years 10 months ago #59949

• Spot Beagle
  • Thanks received: 13
Get some elms, they grow fast, and somewhat forgiving.
well they do need to be outside

Last edit: Post by Spot Beagle.
  • Page: