Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Judas Tree grown from seed 3 years 10 months ago #59959

• Sander
  • Sander's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Greetings, just joined and hereby first post.

I’m hoping to find some sound advice here as most facebook groups i joined lacked expertise (and were quite toxic to be honest)

I’ve been growing two (tiny)trees, started last Christmas when my wife gave me some seeds. Only two actually turned out to be good enough to sprout a little seedling.
One is a black pine (pinus thunbergii) and the other a Judas tree (Cercis Siliquastrum) both have been growing steadily for a good 5 months now.
What i am confused about is is the Judas tree (see attached picture). It’s been growing like mad, its reaching my knee by now and has a fair bunch of leaves (big ones as well...). What am i to do with it? I’ve read i ought to let the plant grow for about 2 - 3 years before shaping etc, but will it keep growing in height for 2 - 3 years? Or will it stop going up and start developing a thicker trunk sometime soon?

Am i to just leave it be? Or do i have to shorten it at some point?

Any advice is welcome!

Kind regards, Sander

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Judas Tree grown from seed 3 years 10 months ago #59960

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
hey Sander and welcom.

your seedling will have to grow for a few years. you are growing a tree first.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sander

Judas Tree grown from seed 3 years 10 months ago #59969

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
I have tried sticking Judas trees in pots a few times with no luck. I don't know if they want big room for roots or what.

I would put it in a bigger pot for a couple of years, put it outside, and let it grow. While it is growing I would research what it wants in terms of root space, fertilizer, etc. Around here they do just fine in southern summers, but I don't know what they need for winter.

But, as I said, I have had no luck with them, so my advice might not be good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sander, richnero

Judas Tree grown from seed 3 years 10 months ago #59980

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
I do hope,you understand that there will not grow bonsai out of that seed automatically?
Second: i am not familiar with the Judas tree, but the pine needs to be outside or it will die - the judas more than probably too.
To get as much growth as possible you should plant them outside in the garden or in a bigger container, the bonsai pot is the last stage in the development of a bonsai ( so in 20 years or so....).

Judas Tree grown from seed 3 years 10 months ago #59984

• Sander
  • Sander's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thank you lucR, i am indeed quite aware it will not grow a bonsai straight from the seed, that would be too convenient.
I know that a bonsai needs to be cultivated, time and patience being key, i will try a bigger pot as suggested by Ivan as well.
The pine is outside, the Judas seems to be in a fragile phase so i will move it outside during proper weather, and in at night.

Cheers.

Judas Tree grown from seed 3 years 10 months ago #59995

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Thank you lucR, i am indeed quite aware it will not grow a bonsai straight from the seed, that would be too convenient.
I know that a bonsai needs to be cultivated, time and patience being key, i will try a bigger pot as suggested by Ivan as well.
The pine is outside, the Judas seems to be in a fragile phase so i will move it outside during proper weather, and in at night.

Cheers.

I don't know exact range, but there were Judas trees in central North Carolina when I lived there and in Alabama where I am now. I think it would rather be outside now. If you are in the frozen north lands it might not want to be outside in the dead of winter, but I would think anywhere in the northern hemisphere it would be happier outside until at least October.

• Page: