Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Can someone inspect my Japanese juniper 3 years 9 months ago #61028

• Miguelv
  • Miguelv's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Yellow guys I have a Japanese juniper that is recently turning yellow on the leaves is this normal or should I be concerned. I mist it every morning and afternoon and I water the bottom every other day. I live in California and the weather averages from 90-100 where I live I also keep it in my backyard.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can someone inspect my Japanese juniper 3 years 9 months ago #61031

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
Do not water on a schedule, water when needed. Water until it spills from the drainage hole and don't mist.
You say it's in your backyard, but is seems to be under a porch? It needs full sunlight. Btw, didn't you make a mistake with temperatures: 90-100 that is the temp of boiling water....
The problem with coniferous plants is that the needles discolour long after the plant has already died, so it could be too late already.

Can someone inspect my Japanese juniper 3 years 9 months ago #61035

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
Misting and not watering is not enough, I would not mist at all, You should be watering at least once probably twice a day, and from the top with a rose on the can. Get rid if the stones.

Can someone inspect my Japanese juniper 3 years 9 months ago #61042

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Hi,

You are right. The tree is struggling. Many of the growing tips have dies, which is an indication that the roots are struggling.
What is the soil like just before you water it again? Is it completely dry?

With the substrate you have there, very organic, you are walking a dificult balance. The need to keep the roots moist, but not so wet that it is devoid of oxigen. (You will see many bonsai growing in very porous mictures: This is exactly because of the challgenge you have there). Plants can grow very well in organics, but you need to get a feel for it. :(

It sounds like you are living in a hot place, and I would expect the plant needing more frequent water. But only you can tell..

Can someone inspect my Japanese juniper 3 years 9 months ago #61057

• crent89
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 230
where in California are you located? im in the riverside area. currently reaching temps of 104*F/40*C this week. i make sure i keep up on my watering at twice a day at the moment and some trees mostly the maples 3-4 times a day but most my trees sit in very porous substract and i add about 15% organics to the maples to hold a little more moisture. but as Leatherback has said only you can tell when water is needed by not keeping you soil sopping wet but moist.

• Page: