Bonsai forum

New Bonsai doesn't look healthy - Christmas Gift Advice

• JC2020Bonsai
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

New Bonsai doesn't look healthy - Christmas Gift Advice was created by JC2020Bonsai

Posted 3 years 3 months ago #64434
Hi,

I got a bonsai as a Christmas gift and don't know anything about it at all. The soil does not look great and the stalks/trunks are loose in the soil also. Leaves are falling off and the ones that have fallen off have white spots.

If anyone could tell me what type it is, and what to do to prevent it from dying. Thanks.
by JC2020Bonsai

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JC2020Bonsai
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by JC2020Bonsai on topic New Bonsai doesn't look healthy - Christmas Gift Advice

Posted 3 years 3 months ago #64459
Bump
by JC2020Bonsai

• Pipnobrooks
  • Thanks received: 1

Replied by Pipnobrooks on topic New Bonsai doesn't look healthy - Christmas Gift Advice

Posted 3 years 3 months ago #64882
Firstly hello!

I'm by no means an expert. Really i'm not at all!

To me it looks like a Ficus bonsai.

I can't see anything wrong immediately with the soil, although it looks like it could be dry.

As for the leaves dropping, that sounds normal, if it's new and acclimatising to your home - I know here at least it's winter - so mine had a few leaves that dropped initally around Christmas. So if a few turn yellow and fall out don't worry!

In regards to the roots and stalks you speak of being loose, that depends on how loose. Far as I understand it's good if you can shake them a bit with your fingers to see if there is some give in space, as this means the plants roots have not outgrown the pot.

In terms of the white spot on the leaves I couldn't comment, there is plenty of info out there in terms of diseases and pests and i'd advise to have a look at that.

Best of luck though!
by Pipnobrooks

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic New Bonsai doesn't look healthy - Christmas Gift Advice

Posted 3 years 3 months ago #64883
Losing leaves not good. Loose in the pot not good. Can't see what is on the leaves, but check under to see if there are any insects, could just be the move. It is not a Ficus, The spots on the leaf are nothing, the leaf is dead. It looks very dry, the soil looks very poor, which is the way these plants come. It does need to be re potted at some point, but not while it is a poor state. It needs to be watered and got back to health first. It needs to be in good light especially at this time of year.
by m5eaygeoff