This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

What can I do with these? I thought about putting the first one onto a stone and bend it to the side where it has less leaves. Any other ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: got 2 Bonsai, don't like their shapes. Ideas? 12 years 9 months ago #493

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
both trees seem to suffer from very solid branches, and very many of them.

As a rule of thumb try to avoid having multiple branches at the same level on the trunc, and try to reduce the length of the branches between side-branches: More smaller branches. So every time your tree has grown more than 2 leaves, pinch out the growing tip. This will encourage side branches and thinner branch formation.

Remove the unneeded branches. Also, branches that cross eachother should see the removal of one of the banches.

Re: got 2 Bonsai, don't like their shapes. Ideas? 12 years 9 months ago #495

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
These both are great trees and specially the trunks and the surface-roots are impressive.

As you said you maybe want to put it on a stone, I have my concerns. I'm thinking if it would look nice when putting it on a stone. It has good roots for it, but the tree itself and especially the trunk is not good for it, but that's my opinion. Maybe with a good combination of a stone it will look good :)

For the second picture: I like this tree a lot, it has a nice movement, but I think what you don't like about it is that it has in the middle no branches. I don't know how it looks with leaves, but I would just let it go for now. I like the tree how it is :)

Great work!

Re: got 2 Bonsai, don't like their shapes. Ideas? 12 years 9 months ago #500

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi Abraxas!

I agree with Youri re: great trunks and roots on these trees! I also like the second one as it is however, I am not at all qualified to give advice as I am a complete *newbie* to the art of Bonsai. I am learning from everyone's questions and replies. Thanks for sharing! :)

Leslie

Re: got 2 Bonsai, don't like their shapes. Ideas? 12 years 9 months ago #501

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
This is just a suggestion....
The top of the second tree would make a very nice bonsai,so I would air layer it off and take a few years and work on the branch structure of the lower part of the tree. pinching the leaves and wiring the branches to start. I don't know what kind of tree it is so I can't say if it would back bud or not.
What kind of soil do you have the trees in? From the pictures it looks like clay.

• Page: